Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Iowa License Guidelines..

Fletch

Supporting Member
Seem's some guys have interest in hunting Iowa in another thread and have questions pertaining to obtaining a license. In that thread I shared my knowledge, but had some time this morning so I called the Iowa DNR to clarify current rules for both myself and others... So heres what the young lady told me:

1. Application period is: May 7th thru June 5th via telephone. This number is 800-367-1188..
2. Payment method is with a credit card, and cost's are as follow's:
a) General hunting license and habitat stamp...... $123.00
b) Deer hunting tag's....................................... 426.00
c) Grand Total................................................. $549.00 (If not drawn for a deer permit, you will receive a refund less application fees)
3. If you do not have any preference point's you can purchase one for $50.00 during the above application time. Same phone number. What's a preference point??? Iowa tag's are limited and on a draw basis. Those given preference in the draw are decided on the number of points they have. Usually it takes 4 or more points to draw an archery tag in the better zones. Gun tag's (shotgun and muzzy) usually take less points or no points depending on zones applied for. She told me that it's like 50/50 you may draw a gun tag on the first try. BUT once again it depends on zone applied for and how many applicants there were. So bottom line is if you are a archery hunter, you can plan a hunt for approx. every 4 years.
4. When applying in a group make sure all have the same amount of preference points as they are going to go by the guy with the least amount of preference points. Example: 4 guy's apply and 3 have 5 preference points and 1 has 2 preference points you will ALL GET REJECTED..
5. Deer tags are good for 2 deer..... 1 buck and 1 doe OR 2 doe's.

Hope this help's those looking to go to Iowa... GOOD LUCK...

Fletch

Supporting Member
So each year you just buy a preference point, then buy the license and tag when you've accumulated 4 points?

Can't just buy a license... Still have to apply to the draw,but with 4 points should draw..

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
So here's a few questions?

If you apply and get turned down you don't get a preference point?

If you apply for an Iowa tag and want a preference point you pay a total of $599 ($123 for license + $426 for tag + $50 for a preference point?

Can you just buy a preference point and not a license?

Fletch

Supporting Member
So here's a few questions?

If you apply and get turned down you don't get a preference point?

If you apply for an Iowa tag and want a preference point you pay a total of $599 ($123 for license + $426 for tag + $50 for a preference point?

Can you just buy a preference point and not a license?

You should get a preference point when rejected(at least that's how it used to be) or you just buy the preference point....