Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

how do you know

jlane

dunn nc
not the brightest bulb in the pack, but i;v got to ask, unless there is a certian scar on a buck that he doesn;t lose year after year,how do you guys tell a certian buck year after year, i;ve watched several bucks over the years and don;t know for certian if it;s the same buck year after year, got only one that has a pass thru scar that will probally never go away so thats easy,

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Generally its rack similarities. Guys sometimes get a little over zealous saying it's the same deer , but usually once a deer gets a little age ya can tell . Also thinks such as ear notches , blind eyes , throat patches , missing tails , etc can be helpful identifying bucks in following yrs . 2.5 yr old deer are tough to identify at times since a lot of times IMO . Unless its really unique a deer making the transition from 1.5 to 2.5 is usually tough to follow .

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
As Carpn said 1.5 -2.5 is difficult. And sometimes 2.5 -3.5 can be difficult if he really put in some horn. But typically 2.5 - 5.5 is fairly easy. Rack characteristics and a deers patterns are really the two big tells.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
As Carpn said 1.5 -2.5 is difficult. And sometimes 2.5 -3.5 can be difficult if he really put in some horn. But typically 2.5 - 5.5 is fairly easy. Rack characteristics and a deers patterns are really the two big tells.

I agree. I think from 3.5 up for me is the easiest way to tell. Reason I don't include 2.5 is because they can make huge jumps to 3.5 year olds. Often those "where did he come from buck" most likely a 2 that grew a lot.