Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Kids -day Parties

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Time for a rant. Why in hell are guys expected to go to these things now? It seems like women expect men to go to every little kids party nowadays, along with baby showers too. And is it me, or do people throw big ass parties for their kids birthdays every year now? It used to be just the 1st, 5th, 10th, 13th and 18th for the most part. Maybe a sweet 16 for girls. My god, it seems like every year its a skating party, bowling party, bounce house party for every kid I know, regardless of age. I tell all my buddies I don't expect them to show at my kids parties, so don't expect me to show for theirs. We are all good with it. But my sister in law throws a damn roller skating party for my soon to be 9 year old nephew every year and it's just ridiculous. My wife sees no problem with them either. My boy turns 5 in March and my buddies run the local bowling alley so we are having his party there. Buy I made it clear that its not an every year thing. Maybe it's the asshole in me, but when I grew up, men weren't expected to attend these things or baby showers. And now I'm told we have to buy every kid that attends a small giftbag with small gifts in them so everyone has presents or some shit. ugh

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
I don't go and the wife quit asking me. Only exception is a couple friends that have kids. I go to those but we typically hang out off to the side and talk while the women handle the kids. I must be an asshole too but it seems like every other week there is a big party somewhere for some kid I don't know.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
You are not alone Ryan. I am about to strangle my wife over shit like this. Our youngest will be 12 in May. You making a 12yr old boy have a fuggin birthday party? How about you invite his friends over to take turns giving him wedgies instead.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Wife asked me too go too a baby shower yesterday.... It's for the wife of a guy who I worked with.... I told her no way in hell.... She said but the guys will be there and I told her too tell them hi for me....

Sorry, I'm not into that kind of stuff.... She asked if it was one of our kids would I go??? Nope... Not a chance lol.... It's a woman thing and keep it that way.... You wanna drink there? I'll drop you off and pick you up, but shy of that..... I'm out lol

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
we have the same arument at my house. why do i wanna drive to your sisters an hour away to a bday party the kids dont care if im there or not, i will end up sitting on the couch with my father in law and brother in law and listen to the women nag the hole damn time. i will go every once in awhile but seems like theres one almost every weekend between our family's. as for baby showers shes having one soon and asked if i was gonna be at the house i said hell no. ill go drive around for a few hours before i sit there. her friend had a gender reveal party she wanted me to go to that i passed on it also

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
LOL...

Yep...every other damn weekend there is a party for someone and of course you are expected to bring a gift or a card with cash...fugg that. I don't have a problem with the birthdays that are milestones..but every year...nah.

And Im also finding out that my kids are getting invited to their friends houses constantly for little Jimmy or Elizabeths birthday party at least once a month...As a parent you need to learn how to say NO sometimes.

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
Actually, I agree with you guys. A big blow-out every year is bullshit. I didn't have that when I was growing up, didn't do it for my kids and won't for the grandkids either.

teej89

NE PA
I'm with you, that's BS, I wouldn't be going either lol I only had one birthday party as a kid (that I can remember) it was for my 13th.

Thank goodness I just have a 1yr old... He's pretty easy, all he needs is food, water in his bowl, some belly rubs, and dead birds to retrieve.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
The short answer to why is women. Women plan parties not men. Why do women plan parties? So they can sit around and gossip, or they just like planning parties. The problem isn't parents not saying no to their kids, it's men not saying no to their wife.

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
this just brought back a good memory, a few years ago my buddy called and said that since all the girls were going to his wifes baby shower that we should all go shoot then go back to his house and get drunk, didnt take much talking to get me too say yeah, well we went and shot got back to his place and started the grill started drinking about 5 hours later and getting bored with corn hole we talked our buddys that were drunk into laying down in the road and letting us throw the corn hole bags at there nuts, thats when all the girls showed back up and we had to explain to them that is the kind of things guys want to do not go watch somebody open up diapers and baby clothes.we were all hammered it was a shit show for sure.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I've never been asked to go to a baby shower. I don't mind birthday parties and we've had one annual for our daughter and will continue to do so. She loves it and we do it for her, so that's what matters to me. Don't want to come or get a gift? Don't. We specifically tell people in the invitation gifts are optional and that she has a college savings fund.

Weddings and baby showers are what becomes the money drain around here. I don't go to weddings either. Unfortunately I'll have one this year since my daughter is a flower girl.

My wife is always going to some sort of function. It's nonstop...

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I despise big birthday parties for all these spoiled brats!!! Roller skating one hour away, sky zone one hour away, fugging chuck e cheese one hour away, ice skating one hour away...

We have immediate family only for ours kids and quit doing stuff for the boys after they turned 12.

I hate it when the kids bring invitations home from school.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
I must be the odd guy out here... I have never attended a baby shower, never been asked, would say no anyway. I don't personally know anybody that has big birthday parties for their kids. Maybe a small get together for certain milestone birthdays, but that's it. Come to think of it, I don't think we have ever thrown a big party for any if our kids. It's usually a matter of, "we'll get you a cake and a gift, if you want a couple friends to come over for pizza, that's fine"
We did have a party for Chelseas 19th birthday, but that was due, in part, to the fact that she was leaving for basic a couple weeks later, and it also served as a going away party.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Our girls have three friends over for their parties. We have dinner a different weekend with family. Friends parents are not invited. Drop off and leave, we will do the same if you invite our kids.