Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2016 Coyote Killers

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
How's the season going for guys using boom sticks to thin the coyotes rather than snares and traps?

I plan to hit it fairly hard this year (assuming we get some decent weather) after finally getting an AR setup that will do some work. Busted the call out this week and got it charged up. Hoping to make my first set here in the next couple of days.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I called in one for my buddy a couple weeks ago around 9am, he missed. I've always had good luck calling them in the morning.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I've only been doing this for a couple years, but I've called in yotes every time my buddy and I have went out. I'm no expert, but this time of year I'd start out with a male howl, then maybe throw in a female howl to make it sound like there's a pair about to get together. That should piss off any male yote around. I like the grey fox distress, and I've called in one or two on the pup distress, woodpecker distress, and coon baby distress. So go with male invitation howl, female howl, then toss in a fox distress. If the fox don't work then try the others.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Anybody do traditional, non electronic calling?
I have a howler and a rabbit distress call. I've used the rabbit call, but I've never taken the howler out because I've never practiced alot with it, kinda pisses the wife off when I start howling at 80 decibels down in the garage lol. I don't even take the rabbit call out anymore, I have one on my caller but don't even use that much. Everyone and their brother uses a rabbit distress call, I like to give the yotes a little something different.

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Anybody do traditional, non electronic calling?
Always Mike. Electronic callers are not a guarantee. Last thing I want is to get out there to find a dead battery in caller or remote. I always carry a few mouth calls. I have had to use them before too. Good cardiovascular workout.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Am I missing it or is there no season for trapping coyotes? As I'm reading things, I can run traps all year, just have to let everything go but coyotes. Which is all I'm after anyways.