Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Leaf question

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
One of my food plots has many white oaks along the west side. So, with our predominately southwest winds they are all in the plot that is planted with Chicory Plus. The Plus being imperial whitetail clover. There is no way of getting a tractor up there at this time of year. Should I take a leaf blower and try to clean them out of the plot or wait for summer and mulch them when I mow it? I believe oak leaves are acidic so I think I know the answer.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Agreed. They don't mulch up well anyway. Blowing them off would be best although depending on the size of the plot it may be quite a chore.

giblet

Unless they are just a carpet of leaves choking out everything I wouldn't worry about them and save your back and gasoline for another project. Fresh leaves are whats acidic at a ph of somewhere around 4.5-4.6. If they were going to spike your ph, which is doubtful they would, it would have been when the leaves first dropped. Dead and decomposing leaves are hardly anymore acidic than the existing soil and unless you got a thick mat of them just laying there, they shouldn't bother a thing.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
Unless they are just a carpet of leaves choking out everything I wouldn't worry about them and save your back and gasoline for another project. Fresh leaves are whats acidic at a ph of somewhere around 4.5-4.6. If they were going to spike your ph, which is doubtful they would, it would have been when the leaves first dropped. Dead and decomposing leaves are hardly anymore acidic than the existing soil and unless you got a thick mat of them just laying there, they shouldn't bother a thing.

That is good info. I may wait for them to dry out some and try blowing them off anyway. I'm afraid they ARE going to choke out some of the plot.