Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

End of a great squirrel season

lung buster

hocking county
My kids and I truly have had an awesome fall and winter! As usual our season always begins Sept 1st with squirrel season. Addison killed her 1st this year and Andrew has been whacking them all season! He killed his 50th squirrel overall and 22nd of this season the other day while we were rabbit hunting, lol.

Andrew killed his limit, for the 2nd time this year yesterday. He was using a .17 rifle and went 6 for 6 with all clean shots! It was a great morning before he played 2 basketball games and had baseball practice too. He was one tired guy come evening,lol.

He also killed his 1st fox squirrel yesterday. We had seen it several times while deer hunting but never while after squirrels. I have killed probably 500+ around here over the years and never killed a fox, heck I've never seen one here! I'm going to have his mounted since to us this was pretty rare!

We are going to hit it one more time today. I can't believe how fast this season has went!

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
That's neat and congrats to the kids and dad. This year just slipped past me. I got 2 custom 22LR rifles I need to try out on squirrels. A Ruger #1 that was converted from 30-06 to 22LR and a early production Win 52 in a 1930's custom stock that I had a custom scope base made for a modern scope. 2016 will be the year fro both of them and me.

lung buster

hocking county

5 more today and with that it's over for us! Andrew killed 33 this yr. It's been a blast and we are already counting down the days until Sept 1st! We plan to fix pot pie for our Grandpa and our family with this latest mess that Drew was fortunate enough to get!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Good stuff man!

Wonder why you don't have many fox squirrels? I could kill a limit of them at the farm in a day's time. And we're not that far from you.

lung buster

hocking county
Good stuff man!

Wonder why you don't have many fox squirrels? I could kill a limit of them at the farm in a day's time. And we're not that far from you.

Not really sure but in my opinion I think fox squirrel like it a little more open. It's nothing but hills with no fields and thick cover around here. I have never seen one in 25+ years of being in the woods here. My dad says that there were a few around when he was a kid but they just disappeared. It was really cool seeing him around and he was on our "list" all winter so Drew was really pumped to nail him!