Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Is he going to make it?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I had pics of a buck who got an eye gouged out back in December. Last pics I have were January 4. He made it 47 days from first pics of gouged out eye until the last pics. Eye was a little bloody, then really bloody and nasty looking, on Jan 4 it appeared gone and healed over decent. Now I am deciding if his weight loss was simply post rut weight loss/late season run down, or if it is a result of him dying a slow death? Curious as to your thoughts. Suppose he will start putting on weight or will he stay MIA because he is dead?

reo

N.E. Ohio
Weight loss does not seem that severe to me and could have been because of both the rigors of rut and the infection. But what do I know, lol

EDIT: Yeah, as long as the infection is gone I think he will make it.

Last edited:

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
He'll make it. Take a mental note so you know which side of the trail to set up on. :smiley_coolpeace: Or when it's OK to draw.

Last edited:

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
He don't look that bad too me. Could the muzzleloader's have pushed him off the property or possibly killed him? Idk how much muzzy pressure you had there.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
He don't look that bad too me. Could the muzzleloader's have pushed him off the property or possibly killed him? Idk how much muzzy pressure you had there.

Not supposed to be anyone. Unfortunately there are some people who run thru it. Didn't see them this year but that doesn't mean they weren't there. Has been a guy trapping the last month which has pushed the deer nocturnal, but doesn't seem to have moved them off the property.

He'll survive . If he was to stressed he'd of shed his antlers by now in my opinion.

That thought crossed my mind as well Jake. Injured late November but still carrying Jan 4?

He'll make it. Take a mental note so you know which side of the trail to set up on. Or when it's OK to draw.

Hahaha. Thought already crossed my mind Rick!

I am 50/50. Some angles he looks real bad. Other angles I think he will be ok. I don't know. Wish I had a pic a little more current than Jan 4. Might have to take a walk tomorrow.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
I have many pics of bucks with one eye blind. But, the pic on November 30th is a nasty looking wound! This just adds to his character. If you are dumping corn he should be all over it.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have many pics of bucks with one eye blind. But, the pic on November 30th is a nasty looking wound! This just adds to his character. If you are dumping corn he should be all over it.
I don't dump corn. I have cameras set up on trails. I agree. Pretty ugly stuff. His neck is tore up too.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
:smiley_clap:

Well played fellas. Well played. Geoffrey and I spent the last several hours looking for sheds. Covered some serious ground. Curious how many miles we actually walked. Didn't find him. That is just fine by me. Hopefully he makes it.