Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2015: A fall to remember

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
I was considering doing a post like this but Al beat me to it. My 2015 season did not go as planned...not even close. It was a painfully educational fall, pun intended. It will forever change the way I hunt.

We had some really good surviving bucks from 2014 that gave us a lot of hope for this season. Spider and CC10 both made it. Spider a 6 year old and CC going to be 5. Junior CC, a 3 year old 130s 10 point with a huge upside also showed up after season. DTP (Double Throat Patch) our 2 year old project buck, with lots of potential and Barry, our resident Bully underachieving 8 point avoided death. So the off season was spent in study for food plots, habitat improvement and stand set ups. We kept some of the proven stand sites and added 4 others that I was really excited to hunt during the rut. Our bottom food plot was left in clover/grass leaving the edge to grow weeds along the road for some cover. The bigger plot on top was planted in Oats on both ends. But the center was some sort of clover we had not planted. In early August it looked great so instead of planting something there we left it...big mistake, by mid-September it had died off, leaving a 60 yard by 40 yard barren wasteland. The smaller plot on top was planted in Chicory Plus and looked great with the exception of some sort of Nettle that tried to take over. One end was planted in Oats also.

As usual, we had no shooters on cam all summer except for DTP. I was going to let him walk but I may have been the only one. After 4 seasons of making changes to the property trying to make it more attractive for the deer things were looking up. Our clearcut and selective logging areas were starting to thicken up. In September and October the deer were all over the oats and chicory. As November approached the chicory was gone leaving only the clover in that plot and the deer quit feeding on the oats for the most part. I was still excited for the rut though knowing what bucks were around. I finished up work on October 29th and only had to work 4 days until December 4th. I had spent October sitting evenings only and hunting WV. It was now time to get after it.

Then the evening of November 2nd hit and everything changed. I was hunting the edge of the big food plot and saw 2 does. As darkness approached I started to climb down. I had only gone down 2 rungs on the ladder sticks when the top strap broke allowing the stick to lean away from the tree. Then the next stick down broke. I remember very little after this until I walked into a convenience store 6 miles away to get help. The next 3 days were spent in the hospital with a broken scapula, bruised lungs and back and a very sore neck. After 3 months of healing and therapy my shoulder is stronger than it was, my back is basically healed but my neck still has very little range but the pain is minimal. I was very fortunate to land in the only position that wouldn't kill or cripple me. It should have been a much worse outcome. I have already purchased many lifelines and will have one on every stand I use. I have ALWAYS used a safety harness (belt back in the day) but will be tied off from the ground up now.

Being stubborn and stupid, I was back out hunting using my daughter's crossbow a week later. I just could not miss the rut. After a few days the pain in my back was too much and I couldn't get out for another week. My cams proved that was the week to hunt our place. The mature bucks were all over us, including Spider, CC10 (now sporting a 7" kicker off a G2), Junior CC (with split brows and 25" more antler...earning him the new name Splitty), a big framed 10 point, a big 8, DTP and Barry. When I was able to get back out I had an encounter with Spider. He was 25 yards behind me but I had no shot. I saw the Big 8 and 3 other bucks following a doe and had Barry go by just out of range. Gun season came and I hunted every day when I could after therapy except Tuesday the day it rained. Spider walked down the cabin driveway at midday...figures. That appears to be the last pic I will get of him. No one has him on cam since. After 5 seasons of pictures and sightings I hope if someone got him they appreciate his majesty.

I have been out from time to time trying to kill Barry. The colder weather has been affecting my neck and back but that is slowly getting better. We have pics of CC10, Splitty and many two year olds. The neighbors have pics of the big 10 and another almost identical to him. So once again things look great for next fall. One of the neighbors is still baiting hard and may get one of the mature bucks yet.

Once again I will rack my brain trying to figure out the best food plot scheme for 2016. I don't think I will make too many other changes though and let mother nature do her job. The stand sites will stay the same since I didn't get to try them out this season.

Even though 2015 appears to be another season of tag soup I consider it a success because:
1) The bucks were there.
2) The habitat is better than the season before and way better than 2011 when we bought the property.
3) My kids were able to kill mature bucks even though they were on other properties.
4) I am still alive and able to spend time with family and friends....and chase the elusive whitetail deer.

Last edited:
Great summary for your season. The fall from your treestand was scary to think about when I first read it and am glad things are getting better for you. Heal well this spring and summer and those bucks will just be bigger for you to chase this year.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Glad you had a decent recovery from your fall. There will be next year.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Good read, spencie. I bought a lifeline to use also and plan on getting at least 2 more before next season. Sounds like your place is turning into a real good spot with all the hard work you have put in. I'm glad your doing good now!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Great read Mike! Awesome summarization as well!!! Hope the very best for you this up and coming season! Thanks for sharing!

Blan37

SW Ohio
Good read, thanks for posting. That fall could have been life changing in a lot of other really bad ways. Glad you're on the mend.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Definitely a good read. Hope your back to normal (whatever that may be) real soon. I TOO am glad your still here to tell us about your mishap....could have been a lot worse for sure.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
Hope your back to normal (whatever that may be) real soon.

You seem to know me all TOO well...lol. I'm far from normal but that has nothing to do with the fall. As far as my health, I have always had neck issues and I doubt my neck is ever right again. I can handle the constant stiffness if the shooting pain stays away.

Thanks for the kind responses guys. I hope all of you learn from this and use lifelines on your stands.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Looking forward to hearing about your season next year! And hoping you will not have any more mishaps to get in the way!

Bigcountry40

Spencie were you using ratchet straps or pull straps like the ones pictureds? My sticks came with pull straps and I refuse to use them cuz they go loose very easy. straps.jpg

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
Spencie were you using ratchet straps or pull straps like the ones pictureds? My sticks came with pull straps and I refuse to use them cuz they go loose very easy.View attachment 41350

They were pull straps. I have not had any problems with them coming loose. I have many set ups. This one particular set up had straps made from a different material. After going back to the site and checking out the specifics of what happened these straps were deteriorating. Another was actually broke. I don't know what brand they are or I would file a complaint to try to save someone else from this sort of accident. From now on I will add a ratchet strap to the top and use a lifeline for the entire time I'm off the ground.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I set up a new pair of sticks and stand at an old spot that's had a stand there for 6-7 years. I went back to hunt it three weeks later and a squirrel had chewed 3 of the straps. 1 clean in half. I only noticed because it was flapping in the wind. The squirrel never messed with the old one or the new straps I put on after he chewed them.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
I set up a new pair of sticks and stand at an old spot that's had a stand there for 6-7 years. I went back to hunt it three weeks later and a squirrel had chewed 3 of the straps. 1 clean in half. I only noticed because it was flapping in the wind. The squirrel never messed with the old one or the new straps I put on after he chewed them.

That is scary. It would be easy to miss that 30 minutes before first light. Or if it wasn't chewed all the way through and your body weight did the rest. I guess the same thing could happen with a lifeline but then two things would have to fail. I will give my lifelines a good tug before starting my climb.