Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hunting arrow

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
A relatively straight piece of POC with 5-6" high profile natural feathers on the back end.

Jamie

Ohio
A relatively straight piece of POC with 5-6" high profile natural feathers on the back end.

what is this bizarre dead language in which you are addressing the question? lol...

hardly any such a thing as good POC anymore, Brock. Douglas Fir is the new Cedar. natural barred wild turkey feathers on back end.

runhunter

I've used a few brands, Easton, Carbon Express, and have shot the Gold Tip Pro Hunter's for the past 3 seasons. I liked them all, to be honest, and can't say any of them killed any better then the other. Like most things archery related, it's all a matter of preference, or you end up shooting what your best friend shoots haha.

I know they are high but I shoot carbon express maxima or maxima hunter. I have killed a ton of deer and yotes with them as well as gold tip ultra lights. Main thing is to shoot an arrow you are confident in regardless of brand or price. If lack confidence with an arrow you will shoot like crap regardless. I feel like this day and time most of your big names are on the same level performance wise. Just my .02

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I have shot them all and prefer Gold Tip. They are all pretty good now.

I REALLY liked the arrows now sold as Muddy. Not sure if they changed much with the change over. Super durable and light weight with a heavy spine. Means I can have a great FOC.

300 spine arrow
50 grain insert
150 or 200 grain broadhead
Pin nocks
Wraps
Flex Fletch vanes

486gr arrow with 17% FOC and carrying 91lbs of KE.

runhunter

I know they are high but I shoot carbon express maxima or maxima hunter. I have killed a ton of deer and yotes with them as well as gold tip ultra lights. Main thing is to shoot an arrow you are confident in regardless of brand or price. If lack confidence with an arrow you will shoot like crap regardless. I feel like this day and time most of your big names are on the same level performance wise. Just my .02

Agreed, there's not the drop off in quality between manufacturers like there once was. You're splitting hairs these days. Every hunter says the brand they use is the best, and I get the loyalty, I have it too. I have an uncle who pulls arrows out of the discount bin at Wal Mart. I'd bet ya a paycheck his quiver doesn't have 2 arrows that are the same length/brand etc haha. He shoots 400's, and that's all he cares about. He rarely shoots at anything over 30 yards... and kills em dead. I try to talk to him, and he hears me, but he doesn't listen. Point is, it all works.

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
Easton ACC's or A/C Carbon Injexions.. not cheap but definitely the best
I got talked in to buying these at my local shop when they first hit the open market in early 2012. I was skeptical about the price ($15 each) but they have been great. I still have 5 or 6 of the original dozen I bought. They are fast, hit hard and are very durable. Only negative is you are limited on your choice of broadhead because a lot of companies don't make a model that can be used with a Deep Six insert.

nathan.luthman

Supporting Member
I started shooting Black Eagles Outlaws this year and i feel that they are better than the Easton Bloodlines i was shooting the last few years. The Black Eagles are more durable in my opinion and they are about $30 a dozen cheapers... not that i skimp on my equipment but money is a factor in all of my purchases and i feel these are great arrows for the money.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Times whatever on Easton.

To address "best" is to ask opinions because what's best is the one that flies truest from your setup. If it's straight and has a sharp, pointy end, then it'll do the job. No all arrows are created equal and some will perform better than others, and all will perform differently from different bows. Buy what works for you, but make sure that the shooter and the bow are as finely tuned as possible because it all starts there.