Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

select cut scared to death?

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I know my farm could use cut, but boy its scares the hell out of me. I love the big woods, and really don't need the coin at this time.

Any suggestions on this?

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Done properly it will add new browse in short order. Look in a big woods and there isn't much feed for deer or wildlife during winter and early spring months.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Have a state certified arborist come in and walk the woods, he'll look at it from the health of it point not so much the money.... He would also mark the trees he would suggest too remove for the health of the woods.... Being in a reputable company too remove the trees that are marked...

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Have a state certified arborist come in and walk the woods, he'll look at it from the health of it point not so much the money.... He would also mark the trees he would suggest too remove for the health of the woods.... Being in a reputable company too remove the trees that are marked...

Our gunclub did that about 10 yds ago and it worked out OK.
I was in my woods today pulling cam cards and a deer almost has to pack a lunch to go through it now.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I am fully aware of the benefits of doing the cut. I am just not sure the best process to go about doing it.

State forester?

I have a strip of pines that runs through the center of my farm, the deer love them and so do I. I don't think I will allow those to be touched. I have big poplars in the bottom to the north. I wouldn't mind getting that cut as I think it would open up an area to put in a plot there swell as make a nice thicket in years to come.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Cut the popular. Last I talked to a certified forester (November), popular was bringing good money. Other than being great trees for climbers, they offer very little to wildlife. IMO, cutting a popular stand down and letting it thicken up is a great move.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Cut the popular. Last I talked to a certified forester (November), popular was bringing good money. Other than being great trees for climbers, they offer very little to wildlife. IMO, cutting a popular stand down and letting it thicken up is a great move.

you got a name of anyone bud? I would like to get someone out to look ASAP, and possibly schedule something before next season.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
This may bring some fire but do not attempt the cutting without the over sight of a certified forester. Their small fee will come back several times in value of by it being done correctly.

I believe the gunclub contacted the ODOW for a referral.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
This may bring some fire but do not attempt the cutting without the over sight of a certified forester. Their small fee will come back several times in value of by it being done correctly.

I believe the gunclub contacted the ODOW for a referral.

I recall hearing that before. Thanks for highlighting frank! I forgot about that.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio

About 20 acres of Popular was cut several years ago on our farm. It is just now getting half OK to walk through. It got so thick you would avoid going into it unless there was no other choice (Tracking deer and such).

Milo

Tatonka guide.
We used a guy that was like a broker and he was awesome. Had the same fears as you and he actually contacted and bid to multiple guys for the best price because he gets a cut. If I can find his name I will forward. Che even made sure they didn't tear up trails and made sure things were good before the loggers left. I also liked that he calculated the board footage so no B S lying from the cutters

Milo

Tatonka guide.
And the most important part is these guys are welcome back any time.. Didn't think I'd be able to say that when the process started

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
We used a guy that was like a broker and he was awesome. Had the same fears as you and he actually contacted and bid to multiple guys for the best price because he gets a cut. If I can find his name I will forward. Che even made sure they didn't tear up trails and made sure things were good before the loggers left. I also liked that he calculated the board footage so no B S lying from the cutters

I know little about this. As with anything, whether hiring a plumber or buying a car, get multiple quotes. Basic life skills. Don't buy the first car you look at. You might come back for it after looking at 5 others, but sometimes you realize the deal wasn't as good as it first sounded. I would think multiple perspectives, sales pitches, view points would serve to educate you prior to hiring one. Combine that with advice from TOO guys who have been through it. . . Probably as good as you can do. Good luck Al.