Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Trapping success/ tips wanted!

Dlauth

I have been fox/ coyote trapping for about 3 years now! Dad had showed me what little he knew about trying to catch these sly animals and I picked up a coyote the first year! Last year I set using a hay bale and picked up a nice red! This year I set the traps opening day and there they sat for a good month in a half with no such luck of the intended target! Finally the day after Christmas I picked up a red just a mile from my parents house! I use deer scraps early season and I also bought some preditor bait out of a trapping magazine! I use Dirt hole sea with small backing! Anyone with more knowledge and willing to share please do!

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpg

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Boarhead, Ricer, Jamie and a few others who escape me for the moment..... These are our resident semi pros on the site....
You will find they are most accommodating when it comes too helping new trappers out....

Dlauth

Awesome! I am curious to know how they make their sets as far as trap placement from the dirt hole and backing, ect... Also picking a ideal location!

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
If you can catch a coyote and a fox in a foot hold trap you know what you are doing. Have you ever used snares? Since I have started snaring all my steel traps have been collecting dust. They are cheap and very effective. Don't have to worry about the ground freezing them in.

Dlauth

If you can catch a coyote and a fox in a foot hold trap you know what you are doing. Have you ever used snares? Since I have started snaring all my steel traps have been collecting dust. They are cheap and very effective. Don't have to worry about the ground freezing them in.

Yes, I caught my first fox in a snare! Never really got into it much tho! That year I found a good trail going through a old fence that bordered one side of a small woods! Set the snare and not too long after caught a beautiful red! As far as the steel traps I enjoy making the set but it seems just that quick, off game targets screw it up in a hurry!! Guess it's all part of the game!

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Yeah I caught my share of cats and opossums lol. We used a lot of sardines in our hole sets for coon and fox plus would keep junk fish from summer in the freezer for bait. Make sure you wear rubber boots and wear rubber gloves. Do you use red fox urine or any gland lures at your sets?

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Sounds like your doing everything right. I know fox are not around like they use to be with all the coyotes. Wish I could help more. Hopefully some of these guys have some ideas for ya.

Dlauth

Thank you! Around here it seems we have more fox than coyotes! I am tickled to death when and if I catch just one each season but would like to increase my odds as much as I can!

Ricer2231

My best advice I can give you is to not over think it. Yes, they are a tough animal to connect with but some times people put too much effort into a set. I set my traps 9" back and 3" offset right or left for yotes and 6" back with 2" offset right or left for fox. I like flat sets and posts sets more than dirt holes but to each their own. The more blended in he better in my opinion. I like to let the lure and bait do more of the work than eye appeal. The bad thing about "fancying" them all up with a lot of eye appeal is that it can just as easily turn them off. Small backer is a must when you do make dirt hole sets and I try to use something in the immediate vicinity. Also any coyote droppings I find are used at my sets and I also ziploc bag them to use at different areas to mimic a possible intruder in the area. Good luck and stay at it. It looks like you are off to a good start.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Some good advice already,sounds like you are doing well,we could sit here and tell you how and where to put your sets all day long,.
You should go online and watch some of the good video's out there,other than riding along with someone to learn firsthand which is great if you can, watching some video and having guys explain why,where and how they put their sets in is another good way to learn.
Good luck and post pics of your catches as you get them.
Dont forget about using snares,they will just flat out perform throwing down alot of traps.
The snares will work for you everyday no matter the weather.
Use to use traps alot over the years but once snaring was allowed most of the canine traps just sit in a barrel in the barn.
Good luck.

Dlauth

Thanks for the info guys! I just made up 20
Snares today! My question for y'all now is when I set a leg hold for fox/coyote, I always double x stake them! When snaring for fox/coyote is that neccessary?