Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Dog question

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
My son and daughter in law have a mixed breed dog that is 3 now. He is playful, loving and energetic. He is left alone for 8-10 hours a day so they felt he needed a brother. After some searching they found a young dog at the humane society that is believed to be 1-2 years old. He is sweet, loving and very playful. But he won't stop! He is overbearing. The other dog has had enough and refuses to play with him now. It's only been 3 days. They are now concerned that they made a mistake. He also chews on everything he can. He is extremely smart and opened the console on the sofa to get the remotes out to chew on them. They are getting a kennel to keep him in during the day.

Any dog men or women out there with any advice? Do you think he will calm down in a few days? They have 14 days to return him but don't want to do that because he is so sweet and affectionate. He looks like a Chinook mix and acts like one from what I have read although it's said that finding a chinook mix would be extremely rare.

giblet

I'll cut to the chase and recommend returning him - all day everyday in a crate is only going to add to their problems with this dog

Bigcountry40

I would walk him/her daily (miles and miles of walking) and do they have a fenced in yard? I am not a dog expert, but some dogs go nuts unless they get a certain amount of daily exercise. I would consider walking the dog first thing in the morning, it may settle him down for the rest of the day.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
As with people some dogs are just over active. It's a lot easier to put a dog down but not so easy for people. Even though it should be at times.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
I would walk him/her daily (miles and miles of walking) and do they have a fenced in yard? I am not a dog expert, but some dogs go nuts unless they get a certain amount of daily exercise. I would consider walking the dog first thing in the morning, it may settle him down for the rest of the day.

They have an underground fence but haven't been able to work with him yet on it.

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
I would think that 3 days was enough time for him to show his true personality, which is high energy. It could probably be tempered, but with work. Exercise, training, treats for being calm, etc.

He definitely needs to be crated. Not only for the safety of their belongings, but for his own in possibly eating something he shouldn't. A friend just had their dog put down due to a blockage from a Christmas ornament that was eaten.

If they really like him, they should get a crate, and work with him over the next 10 days or so. That should be enough of a start for them to decide what they want, before the 14 days is up.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I would think that 3 days was enough time for him to show his true personality, which is high energy. It could probably be tempered, but with work. Exercise, training, treats for being calm, etc.

He definitely needs to be crated. Not only for the safety of their belongings, but for his own in possibly eating something he shouldn't. A friend just had their dog put down due to a blockage from a Christmas ornament that was eaten.

If they really like him, they should get a crate, and work with him over the next 10 days or so. That should be enough of a start for them to decide what they want, before the 14 days is up.

What she said. A 1-2 year old dog is still a puppy and no matter the breed will have tons of energy. They need to work with him and tire his ass out. They also need to make him listen. If they say enough is enough he needs to mind. This is a reason I love hounds. They're pretty lazy and in the early years it doesn't take much to tire them out. Play fetch for 15 minutes and feed them, out like a light in 10 minutes. For the chewing they need to smack the taste out his mouth anytime he's chewing on something he shouldn't be, then hand him something he can chew on. He'll get the picture quick. And crate him when they can't supervise.

Buckmaster

Portage
My 14 month old Dachshund is crated while I'm at work. When I get home its balls to the walls until bed time. He's high energy as well but he's an only child.
He requires supervision constantly as he still gets into stuff, eats it, chews it. He's up to about a $ 500 bill in the chewed item expense listing. Pillows and blankets are his favorite (humping tools). We have gates in our hallway to keep him from the bedrooms, other doors remain shut. He is getting better though. He and I should attend some dog obedience school, probably do us both some good. My patience and understanding is the key with him. I get it....he's a young dog and needs to learn.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Exercise, exercise, exercise..... They can't get too much of it.... They are puppies and have a shit ton of energy penned up and need an ave too release it.... It's either released in exercise or bad behavior..... Your choice.... After that comes commands, and no is the top of the list.... They need too understand that when they don't listen there's ramifications too their actions.... Get a crate and when they don't listen, in the crate they go. You leave the house, in the crate they go.... Mine when I put my coat on and don't have a leash in my hand trot too the crate.... I can't just too seem too get them too lock he damn thing....

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
I can't just too seem too get them too lock he damn thing..

Wouldn't that be nice?! I have one that gets every single toy (one at a time) out of the toy boxes, but does she put them back up? NO.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Not trying to rag on your friend here, but the solution to a dog not getting enough attention IS NOT to get another dog. But, that's beside the point now so I'll leave it at that. Many have mentioned exercise and that's partly correct... Exercise IS important, especially for a young dog... But physical exercise for a young energetic dog is usually not enough. Some dogs, especially those with a relatively high intelligence, need to be exercised MENTALLY even more than physically. Training and challenging the dog mentally is key. I have a 3 yr old spazz of an American Lab and she's an absolute fireball. Smart as a whip, too. She can run all day long, retrieve multiple limits of ducks in freezing cold temps, swim several hundreds of yards, etc etc etc... And she will show even more lethargy after training a new mental concept than any of those physical activities I mentioned. Remember, dogs are athletes. You can walk/run them all you want, they build muscle and stamina like all other mammals. Walk walk walk... You'll need to walk more the next time... Run more the next time, etc. It's get tougher to "tire" them out if you're not challenging their minds too. And Joe is completely right about the discipline... No means fuggin NO, especially in the house.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'll echo Jim and Joe. Dogs need physical and mental exercise. And ruled with an iron fist. Also like Jim said, I'm of the opinion they made a mistake in getting another dog to start with. So I suggest taking him back and spending more time/energy on the one they had.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
Not trying to rag on your friend here, but the solution to a dog not getting enough attention IS NOT to get another dog. But, that's beside the point now so I'll leave it at that.

My "friend" is my son...clearly stated. He and his wife lived in our garage apartment for 2 years. My wife (not gf or mistress) and I have a dog...so their dog was used to having a companion during the day. This is the reason they wanted a second dog. He gets lots of attention in the evenings and weekends. Hope that cleared things up for you.

Your other comments are spot on.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
My "friend" is my son...clearly stated. He and his wife lived in our garage apartment for 2 years. My wife (not gf or mistress) and I have a dog...so their dog was used to having a companion during the day. This is the reason they wanted a second dog. He gets lots of attention in the evenings and weekends. Hope that cleared things up for you.

Your other comments are spot on.
Sorry, I apparently offended you. My memory is total shit and I forgot the exact details of your OP after reading through all of the replies. I'm glad you don't have a mistress, btw. Those are bad for marriages.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Also, dogs are not people. Dogs do not NEED companions. Dogs simply need a purpose. Their older dog was probably just fine. The new dog however needs a purpose, and that purpose is not to be a companion.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
I'm glad you don't have a mistress, btw. Those are bad for marriages.

That's what I hear. I understand your post. Maybe I should have made it clear in the original post that Dog #1 has always had a companion. I have already relayed your info on challenging Dog #2s mind.

After reading your next post please disregard this one.

giblet

And there is a big difference between crate training and throwing a dogs ass in a crate all day, everyday because he'll tear the house down while you are at work. You will just end up with a bigger knot head than you started with by doing that. And if these kids are newlyweds looking to start a family, what happens when a newborn is around? Who the hell wants wants to deal with a dog acting like a monkey on crack when you got all that going on? One dog is plenty when your time is limited and there is a good reason why reputable breeders screen buyers heavily and do not hesitate to say no.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
Thanks for the bashing guys! I am a parent and know all this. I asked if anyone had advice on the hand that's now been dealt. I figure the dog is going back to the pound because dog #1 has become depressed. If anyone is interested in a sweet energetic dog pm me.