Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Smoker Help.

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
My wife got me a smoker for Christmas. Asking my TOO brothers for some education. Was going to buy some Hickory chips so the question is how does this all work to get the smoke? Looks like I use a torch to get it going and I am assuming I don't want the flame, just have it smoldering. So when you are pumping on it how do you keep the flame down? I saw in another thread different ways to smoke, Ie.....a tote or a metal locker to have your clothes in while smoking.

IMG_20160118_184101215.jpg

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Light it with a torch, get the chips burning good in the smoker and let it burn for a minute or two then shut the lid. Smoke should be rolling out good then.

Riverdude

Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
Aaaaaaaaaa, got it. Cutting off the supply of Oxygen. Makes sense Bigslam. Thank you!!! I was surprised it did not come with instructions, lol.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Any flame going before the lid being closed should be blown out first.... You let it burn like Chad said and once that flame is going good and you start too get some smoke, blow it out close the lid and then work e bellows slowly..... If you work it too fast you'll get a flash flame out the spout....

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Hmmm- I always use a single sheet of newspaper and put a small handful of wood chips in the center. Light the outside edges of the paper to start the chips. Let it get burning good and shut the lid, work the bellows and always get good smoke.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I put in a big handful of chips. Lay the smoker on it's bellows with the lid open and lay a torch nozzle right inside the smoker. In about a minute I stand it up, blow out the flame and close the lid.

Riverdude

Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
Awesome, thanks guys for your help and input.. This is new TOO me but excited to try it out, even in the late season. Thinking of getting these for my father in-law and brother in law for their birthdays this late summer / fall for next year. My father in law never heard of this and sound pretty interested in the idea.

Again thanks for your input.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Let us know when you scorch something. Usually happens to the most of us. J is the only one I know who hasn't been WELL EDUCATED on the flame thrower part.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Let us know when you scorch something. Usually happens to the most of us. J is the only one I know who hasn't been WELL EDUCATED on the flame thrower part.

Don't treat the bellows like your pecker.... Rule too live by when using the smoker lmao.....

Riverdude

Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
LMAO, Just told the wife how I have TOO do it, will be out in the yard away from the house and all explosive materials. mischeif.gif

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
First time that smoker goes "Whoooof" You will understand a little more Jeff. rotflmao
Sometimes you run a little late and get carried away with the smoker.