Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Waterproof socks

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
A summer time review of Sealshinz waterproof socks. Does anyone try them? I don't have much of a sweating problem but I wonder how they would work for you guys that sweat alot?
Really hate it when the fools do a rewiew then state I will try them later in cold weather.Why not wait on posting the warm weather review then ad the cold weather review to it and post a total review?

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Never heard of them Frank.... Seems interesting especially for you crossing that creek and all.... My feet start sweating pulling socks out of the drawer lol

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Never heard of them Frank.... Seems interesting especially for you crossing that creek and all.... My feet start sweating pulling socks out of the drawer lol

Yes they would. This year I'm going back to my removable insulated pack boots and have a spare set of liners on the other side of the creek then bring the wet ones back to dry. I have little sweating due to my MS.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Yes they would. This year I'm going back to my removable insulated pack boots and have a spare set of liners on the other side of the creek then bring the wet ones back to dry. I have little sweating due to my MS.

You ever think of putting a culvert in the crossing Frank??? Be money well spent in my opinion....

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
You ever think of putting a culvert in the crossing Frank??? Be money well spent in my opinion....

Wouldn't work. The creek is worn down to bedrock and about 8 ft lower than the 2 pasture fields. That creek will go from 1" to 4-5' after a heavy rain and back to 2-3" over night. It would be like building a damn there on flat smooth bedrock. Besides with Corp of Engineers probably won't permit it anyway. The less I have the government around is OK with me. Hell I wanted to put a pond between the house and the road and the County was concerned about the fall of the land and changing the natural water flow. They didn't think they would approve the permit so no use in trying.
I been thinking of going down and using some of the 3-4" bedrocks slaps and bolting them down with concreet anchors for a walkway off to the side of the tractor crossing. It's about 10' wide so 3-4 slaps should do it. Anything deeper than 6" wouldn't be save to cross against the strong current anyway. It's on the short list of 2016 projects.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Why not build a bridge? Couple 6x6s with a 2x12 nailed on top and you're in business.

A 6x6 blank bridge won't hold my 5-6 ton tractor to cross. Otherwise the bridge would have to be 25 ft long to cover the gap from high ground to high ground.
I have Muck 18" boots now but at my age and the uneven flat rock creek bottom I don't think it's safe to go in water over 6-8" deep as the current is rushing damn fast. As it is I've only missed about 4 days this season when I couldn't cross. If it was deep still standing water it wouldn't be a problem but when it's flooding and moving fast I'll stay safely on this side.

Qback5

Back to socks...not waterproof but swifwick is hands down best sock I ever used. Got em for running (couple marathons), and now use for hunting ... Alone early season, and as a liner late season.

Last edited:

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I don't understand. I thought your feet where getting wet from walking across the creek? Or are they sweating?

Crossing the creek. With these sock my feet wouldn't get so damn cold and be dry.
Never mind, back to staying dry.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
There's a guy up here I know who has a bunch of old telephone poles . If your interested I can inquire about them for u ?

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
There's a guy up here I know who has a bunch of old telephone poles . If your interested I can inquire about them for u ?

Thanks but I'll pass. Been like this for 24 yrs so I'll just make do.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
A 6x6 blank bridge won't hold my 5-6 ton tractor to cross. Otherwise the bridge would have to be 25 ft long to cover the gap from high ground to high ground.
I have Muck 18" boots now but at my age and the uneven flat rock creek bottom I don't think it's safe to go in water over 6-8" deep as the current is rushing damn fast. As it is I've only missed about 4 days this season when I couldn't cross. If it was deep still standing water it wouldn't be a problem but when it's flooding and moving fast I'll stay safely on this side.
You're not crossing it with your tractor now so why does it matter if you can't take it across a bridge? I'm really confused at the whole point of this thread...