Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Glasses fogging up!!!

Blan37

SW Ohio
Anyone have any suggestions about how to deal with glasses fogging up in cold weather when wearing face masks? Anytime I cover my nose I end up blowing steam up on my glasses. I've tried anti fogging crap and a thin film of soap. That seems to sorta work, but instead of fog I just end up with water condensation. Not fog, but more like drops.

Maybe I just need to get contacts. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I've had the same fogging problem for 58 yrs now since I was 14. Not a candidate for Lasik as I've got cataracts starting but they haven't gotten worse enough for lens replacement in 10 yrs now.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I only pull up the mask for short periods of time. When I do I move my glasses away from my face a little. It is a balance between warm nose and vision. I'd love lasik. Just need to find time to fit it in my schedule.

Blan37

SW Ohio
Ok. I thought maybe there was some trick of the trade I didn't know about. LASIK would be great but it's too expensive.

Thanks for the input.

No real trick that I've found either. Tried Cat Crap used for scopes and glasses it helped some but always seems to leave a haze. Tried a couple other kinds of no-fog stuff and it never seemed to work. Just keep the facemask below my nose for the most part.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I have been told shaving cream rubbed on the inside of a car window then wiped off will help keep the glass from fogging.
Never tried it though.

Blan37

SW Ohio
No real trick that I've found either. Tried Cat Crap used for scopes and glasses it helped some but always seems to leave a haze. Tried a couple other kinds of no-fog stuff and it never seemed to work. Just keep the facemask below my nose for the most part.
Yeah, that's the biggest problem I've seen with anti fog stuff - it leaves a fog of it's own lol

Erik72

In the military, we used to rub toothpaste on the inside of our scuba masks. Rub it on, let it dry and then rinse in off with water. It worked great to prevent fogging. I wouldn't see why it wouldn't work for glasses as well. One concern may be the leftover fresh minty smell.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio

Want to buy some ocean front property Chuck? Sounds like you were suckered. lmao

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
In the military, we used to rub toothpaste on the inside of our scuba masks. Rub it on, let it dry and then rinse in off with water. It worked great to prevent fogging. I wouldn't see why it wouldn't work for glasses as well. One concern may be the leftover fresh minty smell.

I did that to my mask in Roatan and the smell about made me sick after a few hours. A Scuba instructor showed me a trick with a lighter where he burned the inside of the glass with a Bic. He said most masks have a plastic coating on the glass to prevent scratching. Burn it off and then put either soap, spit, or toothpaste on it. Didn't fog after that