Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Bookending gun season

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Yesterday closed what turned out to be a very good gun season for me. Opening day gave the oppertunity for a couple firsts. First deer with a straight wall cartridge and first deer I've ever killed on my farm happened when 5 does trotted out in front of me about 8:30 opening day. One well placed shot from my T/C Encore .375 Win dropped this nice fat doe.

The rest of gun season was good. Saw lots more deer than I did last year, passed on more does and a couple little bucks. Along the way J killed 2 does and a young friend finally killed a buck worth mounting. J and I made the trip to the TOO muzzy hunt and you all know how great that was.

Yesterday morning, last morning of gun season, was the first morning with a tracking snow so I was pretty excited. Second drive I was posted on a heavy trail in the bottom of a hollow. About 10:00 a buck comes trotting down the hill opposite from me. Pulled up and started following him in the scope, got wrapped around the tree I was leaning against like a stripper around a pole, when at 40 yards he stopped broadside. Again the Encore barked, this time with the .50 muzzleloader barrel, and the buck dropped in his tracks. 2 shots, 2 deer. Not a big rack buck but good sized body. I hadn't kill a buck in several years.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Well done Sam! I was caught up in the read whoever I will probably be haunted by the mental image of;

" I was leaning against like a stripper around a pole" for years... lol

Congratulations on a good deer season!