Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2015/2016 season is done

Lundy

Called it a season and came home this morning to try and beat the bad roads later this evening.

Couldn't pull the trigger, had 15-20 different deer each of the first 2 days and over 30 different deer yesterday including a few young bucks but couldn't do it. I even purchased a second tag last Friday thinking I would kill a couple since my son couldn't hunt this year and they like the meat, but..............

Took lots of pictures and enjoyed being out and watching them.

Sorry to my team mates for not contributing this year, I won't join a team next year because I don't know if the results will be any different.:D

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
It's all good, lundy. No hard feelings from this teammate, its all in fun. Just imagine how much bigger they'll be next year!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
You had opportunity. You saw deer. You shared great pictures with us. Sounds like it must have been at least a little bit enjoyable. Most importantly, you made it home safely. That is an important part of every hunt.

Not like there is a huge prize for the contest anyway Kim. Heck, one of my teammates was exiled to never never land. lmao

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Sorry to hear your season ended with two unfilled tags Kim but even more sorry to hear that you think you let down your team and won't join the contest with us next season! I can definitely understand the disappointment of not filling a freezer or killing a mature buck you've been watching but the contest we have here is just for fun and bragging rights at best. Please reconsider changing your mind and play along next season!

Ben, great perspective! Or like Brock likes to say, A lot of fun but without the mess!

It does get frustrating sometimes hunting and have things not go your way but in the grand scheme of things, Having your health, enjoying Gods beauty in the great outdoors and coming home safe is what's important. Bloodying your hands and bringing home some tasty meat or a mature buck is just icing on the cake.

Huckleberry Finn

I have seen more deer this year than in over a decade. Unless I shoot an urban deer, I am likely done. But that certainly doesn't mean I haven't had a good season. You ought to feel similarly.

Lundy

No not snickers:D, just every other deer that I watch everyday that I get to know by their mannerisms and markings or antlers, and also the hundred plus that I have killed in my life. I now get more enjoyment from just watching them than shooting them. In fact I was debating with myself the last few days that if the one buck I wanted to shoot showed himself whether I was going to pull the trigger or not. I'm just not sure what I would have done and now won't know for sure until next year.

I had a great season and really enjoyed my self. I hunted 12 days from daylight to dark nonstop and saw bunches and some neat stuff. There wasn't one day that I couldn't have shot any number of deer. My season wasn't a failure because I didn't kill my target buck, it's Ok he was better than I was. I hope is still alive and doing well. Maybe we will meet up next year.

Maybe it is the way I hunt where I hunt from enclosed blinds with the deer for the most part just doing their thing and not running from someone else from point A to point B. The same deer doing the same things at the same times everyday for the most part is what I see, especially this time of the year. The grass in the back fields was very green and they spent most of everyday out feeding on the grass. Last night the last hr I had 14 deer spread across the field in front of me just eating away.

My only real regret for the entire 12 days was that I only had one opportunity at a coyote and I couldn't shoot it because of the guys driving the adjoining property and the shot direction being too iffy if the bullet were to skip after going through him.

Don't take me wrong, I am not unhappy with my season.

Last edited:

Blan37

SW Ohio
Man - those are some obedient turkeys - tell them to leave and they leave! :D

I have a lot of respect for your ability to just get out and enjoy watching the deer. I'm in the 'fill the freezer' stage in my life right now and am pretty impatient. I have a lot to learn and a lot to learn to appreciate. Thanks for being a good example.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sounds like a great season Kim. You saw them, some of them probably saw you, no one got hurt. Good clean fun!

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Good read but sorry you haven't gotten a deer or two. I've had a rough year also but have no plans on stopping or slowing down. Hang in there as it's too much fun not to.