Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Migration?

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
If your talking about geese then I think the resident flock stay here year round. It started 40--45 yrs ago that we started notice geese didn't leave. Some say all the interstate highway ponds and plenty of feed in the farmers fields.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I've noticed an increase in goose numbers around here in the last week, but not ducks. It's a stark contrast to January of 2014. I was seeing thousands of geese and hundreds of ducks daily.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Question for you waterfowl guys. A week ago I was out and heard some strange calls in the sky. I looked up and saw some birds migrating that wasn't geese. They were longer and looked to have longer feet and necks.. They were in a classic V formation but shifted and split constantly. I thought blue herons but in my reading it says they migrate singularly or in a very small group. What else could it be?

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Question for you waterfowl guys. A week ago I was out and heard some strange calls in the sky. I looked up and saw some birds migrating that wasn't geese. They were longer and looked to have longer feet and necks.. They were in a classic V formation but shifted and split constantly. I thought blue herons but in my reading it says they migrate singularly or in a very small group. What else could it be?

Coloring of them? Were they white? Snow geese?

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio

Probably trumpter swans. I see a flock or so every year heading towards the gravel pits 5-6 miles south of there. They make a high pitched call when flying. Seen them up in Canada when I bear hunted there in 1990.

Here is a article from 2014 in Trumbull County flock.
http://www.wfmj.com/story/25094057/hundreds-of-swans-migrate-to-northern-trumbull-county

Last edited:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
If you could see the legs hanging back and they were shifting formation I would say you saw a flock of sandhill cranes.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
If you could see the legs hanging back and they were shifting formation I would say you saw a flock of sandhill cranes.

That's what I was thinking. Sandhills make an odd sound and remind me of the flying monkeys from wizard of oz.

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Thanks guys. Yep they were Sandhill cranes. I went and listened to the calls and it's pretty unmistakable. Funny birds. It looked like their navigation was jacked up. The formation started to drift east and they all started squawking. Half went east, half went south. The ones going east turned back and joined the flock heading south.

tjeep

Those Sandhills are good eating. There were several guy specifically hunting cranes when I was in North Dakota in Oct.