Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Skin on/off

Ohioal

After killing a deer do y'all hang it skin on or skin off. I have always kept the skin on with no adverse affects which I can tell but a buddy of mine says I'm crazy and it will make the deer tastes gamey. What's is everyone's approach to this

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
How long is it hanging?

If it's one I'm taking to the processor in 24-48 hours, skin stays on.

If I'm cutting it up, skin comes off. It's a pain in the ass to skin once it firms up.

Ohioal

As long as it's cool enough and depending on the age of the deer average 3 days. Obviously if it's hot it goes to the cooler immediately. I do all deer myself

at1010

*Supporting Member*
i am fortunate to have a best buddy with a walk in cooler. We get the hide off ASAP, always. We rinse the deer off real good, then let it hang in a cooler for a 1-3 days before processing it. Never did eat a bad deer that way, rutted buck- yearling, all have ate well.

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
Depending on the temps but usually skin off ASAP. I take mine to a processor now a days so if I get it home right away I run it out there skin on.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
You guys that are skinning asap, doesn't the outer layer of tissue dry out while it hangs? I agree that it's way easier to skin right away but I never do it if I'm letting a deer hang for a few days.

Blan37

SW Ohio
If you like the gamey taste - some people do - then leave it on. Every deer I've done, I get the skin off right away and it's been amazing. I just quarter it up, wrap it in plastic wrap and clean trash bags and put it in coolers with ice for about 5 days (not letting the meat touch the ice) and then process it myself. If you have a spare fridge that's even better, don't have to keep adding ice.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
If you like the gamey taste - some people do - then leave it on. Every deer I've done, I get the skin off right away and it's been amazing. I just quarter it up, wrap it in plastic wrap and clean trash bags and put it in coolers with ice for about 5 days (not letting the meat touch the ice) and then process it myself. If you have a spare fridge that's even better, don't have to keep adding ice.
I think you're convinced of a wive's tale. I've never even heard of that before. And none of my deer that I butcher taste gamey, and all hung with the skin on.

Blan37

SW Ohio
Could be. Maybe it's just proper field care in general. I read somewhere about the oils in the skin tainting the meat but I honestly can't remember where. I just figured it was true (it was on the internet!).

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I agree a old wife's tale. IMHO the gamey tasting deer is half spoiled meat from improper care.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I agree a old wife's tale. IMHO the gamey tasting deer is half spoiled meat from improper care.
I don't think the gamey taste is from half spoiled meat, half spoiled venison would taste just like half spoiled beef IMO. I think it's from not trimming the meat properly and leaving too much fat and silver skin.

Blan37

SW Ohio
Ha! Found it. It was from a video I watched a while back from an experienced butcher (30 years). He gives two reasons for getting the hide off: Cooling the deer off and because of oils in the skin. Seems plausible to me but what do I know. Fast forward to to about the 6:10 mark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQtfNMyWZaE

Wives tale or not, it's an interesting video.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Very good video. Great instructional for butchering at home. I'd say the oil/skin thing is just guys opinion though... He doesn't seem like the scientific type. Lol

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Cutting bones and exposure to bone marrow gives it the Gamey taste (imho)

Ohioal

The 1 time I did skin it early on and left to hang and age the entire outside of the deer was dried out. I told myself never again. The extra 5 mins to skin is a good trade off in my opinion