Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Alright rifle enthusiasts

teej89

NE PA
So my dad and I are doing a DIY CO rifle elk hunt this coming fall... I only have my Savage 25-06 and he has his 7mm mag so he's taking that. I'm torn between a .338, .300 short mag, or the go to 30-06.

Honestly I'm just torn between the .300 short and the 30-06, leaning more towards the 30-06 due to it's versatility because if all goes well I'll be moving out west this year so it'd be a deer/elk/antelope gun. And I'm looking for opinions on makes and models.

Thanks guys!
T.J.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
30-06 ammo is available everywhere. Not so much for the 25-06 but since you have I would stay with it.
The 338 is over kill except for bear.
300 short mag was developed to sell something new and to fix a problem that wasn't there.

IMHO stay with the 25-06, use the saved money to buy a better scope, or buy reloading equipment. Or buy both with the saved money.

The 30-06 has taken more game than any other caliber except the 30-30.

If I was going again and had a 25-06 that's what I'd use.

Last edited:

teej89

NE PA
30-06 ammo is available everywhere. Not so much for the 25-06 but since you have I would stay with it.
The 338 is over kill except for bear.
300 short mag was developed to sell something new and to fix a problem that wasn't there.

IMHO stay with the 25-06, use the saved money to buy a better scope, or buy reloading equipment. Or buy both with the saved money.

The 30-06 has taken more game than any other caliber except the 30-30.

If I was going again and had a 25-06 that's what I'd use.

We do actually reload all of our own and I'm glad you said that about the .338, so I can rule that out. You aren't a fan of the .300 WSM then?

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
We do actually reload all of our own and I'm glad you said that about the .338, so I can rule that out. You aren't a fan of the .300 WSM then?

In my mind it's just a 300 Win Mag using different powder. Also overkill.
I have a 338 Win mag but I was hunting in Alaska for moose and bear.
I also have a 375 H&H Rem Custom Shop rifle that I took my last elk with. But I only used it because it was my good friend's and it's light. Weighs 6.5 lbs but recoil is less than a 30-06 due to recoil system. I'm planning a Africa trip with it. Plus I'll take by TC Contender in 375 JDJ.
My 1st elk was taken with the 375 JDJ pistol. And did not feel under gunned.

Last edited:

teej89

NE PA
Mostly only on TV.

Yeah, funny enough most elk kills are within 150yds.

Frank, my dad is trying to get me to look into the Remington 700 but... he's pushing me to buy a model at walmart. Any thought on this? Kinda makes me uneasy buying a rifle from walmart, shotgun I wouldn't think twice but when it comes to precision I'm wary....

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Plus one for everything Frank has said!!! But if you are dead set on getting something new don't forget about the good old .270 Winchester!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Yeah, funny enough most elk kills are within 150yds.

Frank, my dad is trying to get me to look into the Remington 700 but... he's pushing me to buy a model at walmart. Any thought on this? Kinda makes me uneasy buying a rifle from walmart, shotgun I wouldn't think twice but when it comes to precision I'm wary....

See what you can find for an older 700. I'm not impressed with Remington's quality these days.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Any thoughts on the 783?

I meant Remington as a whole. I can't speak for the 783 specifically. I bought Travis a 870 a couple years ago and could go on for days about it. The first that stuck out to me was it only came with one choke, no sling stud on the mag cap, wasn't even threaded for one. You have to buy a whole new cap, the trigger group is plastic, about 1 in 5 shells get stuck in the chamber, the extractor barely throws a shell, the pump is gritty and catchy. Etc. I looked at a marlin lever action a month ago, the fit, finish, and quality was garbage compared to when marlin made them before Remington bought them. Just not impressed with Remington these days compared to remmingtons of days gone by.

teej89

NE PA
I meant Remington as a whole. I can't speak for the 783 specifically. I bought Travis a 870 a couple years ago and could go on for days about it. The first that stuck out to me was it only came with one choke, no sling stud on the mag cap, wasn't even threaded for one. You have to buy a whole new cap, the trigger group is plastic, about 1 in 5 shells get stuck in the chamber, the extractor barely throws a shell, the pump is gritty and catchy. Etc. I looked at a marlin lever action a month ago, the fit, finish, and quality was garbage compared to when marlin made them before Remington bought them. Just not impressed with Remington these days compared to remmingtons of days gone by.

yeah pretty sure I remember that thread you posted about the 870 and talks of the safety right? I've had my dads 870 from when he was my age and the gun is great.

My buddy is having me look into Tikka but my dad is old fashion/hard headed and thinks paying a pretty penny for something nice is ridiculous.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
yeah pretty sure I remember that thread you posted about the 870 and talks of the safety right? I've had my dads 870 from when he was my age and the gun is great.

My buddy is having me look into Tikka but my dad is old fashion/hard headed and thinks paying a pretty penny for something nice is ridiculous.

Yeah I'm just not a fan of trigger safety's on a shotgun and prefer tang safety's like mossberg. But that's just personal preference. Go compare your dads 870 to the junk 870 they have on the shelf today. That's why I said look for an older one.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Nothing wrong with older used guns. As long as it's not abused it's fine and less money.I buy almost nothing new. Last rifle I bought new was a Browning A-bolt in 338 Win mag to take to Alaska over 25 yrs ago. Also bought new a Rem 700 in 30-06 and 223 over 25 yrs ago.
All rifles since then have been used and never a problem.
Not sure what the problem is with the new Rem rifles is (if there is a problem) but I'll go out on a limb as say it's too many guys reading BS on the internet and nick picking. With the new CNC machining I see no reason for quality to fall but only too increase. IMHO

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Go compare your dads 870 to the junk 870 they have on the shelf today. That's why I said look for an older one.

Absolutely right. The quality of metal and materials used in todays guns (in general) is cheap. Older guns had machined parts of good metal, not stamped out from the cheap grade today.
I have said for years if you have 2 shotguns made 50 or 75 years apart, and cycle each one, the sound the newer one makes is cheaper, more "tinty". The older one sounds more solid.
Kinda like the sound a solid car door make vs a cheaper one when you close it.

Yes I know there are expensive, well made guns today too but the mass work horse lines like the 870 aren't the same.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Nothing wrong with older used guns. As long as it's not abused it's fine and less money.I buy almost nothing new. Last rifle I bought new was a Browning A-bolt in 338 Win mag to take to Alaska over 25 yrs ago. Also bought new a Rem 700 in 30-06 and 223 over 25 yrs ago.
All rifles since then have been used and never a problem.
Not sure what the problem is with the new Rem rifles is (if there is a problem) but I'll go out on a limb as say it's too many guys reading BS on the internet and nick picking. With the new CNC machining I see no reason for quality to fall but only too increase. IMHO

One would think the quality has gotten better due to things like CNC machining. But from what I've seen it's only allowed most to cut corners more efficiently. The quality of materials as well as the overall quality of the firearm has suffered greatly in this day of mass machining. Pick up a Marlin made in the Marlin factory pre 2008, then go pick up one made by Remington after they purchased marlin, moved the factory, and laid off the marlin workers. The quality of workmanship Remington and it's workers put into Marlin firearms is garbage compared to the pre-Remmington Marlins.

Just be careful with those older Remington 700's. They are known to fire at times when the safety is moved to the fire position. Sometimes they even fire when closing the bolt. My .243 has done both, but my trigger pull has been modified to very little travel and around 1 lb of pull. If you can bolt a round with the safety in the fire position these guns must be handled with extreme care.