Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

cheap gravity feeders

jlane

dunn nc
grab a cheap barrel, attach a pan (offset pan under feeder) buy a large(14/16 inch)pan from tractor supply, drill 3- 2inch holes in bottom of barrel,either attach legs or strap to side of tree,i'll attach a screw in step to help support weight of feederView attachment 40530

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
grab a cheap barrel, attach a pan (offset pan under feeder) buy a large(14/16 inch)pan from tractor supply, drill 3- 2inch holes in bottom of barrel,either attach legs or strap to side of tree,i'll attach a screw in step to help support weight of feederView attachment 40530

Picture isn't available from the looks of it on my end

jlane

dunn nc
KIMG0678.jpg

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I'm going with this gravity feeder and mount on T-post. $55 each with free shipping, buy 3 and get 10% off.
Holds 40 lbs.

jlane

dunn nc
Looks good, how'd you attach the pan too the drum?

self tapping screws to bottom of barrel, then 4 screws from pan to legs, pretty solid ,it;s about 3 ft off the ground,PICT0117 (1).jpgPICT0122.jpgthis one works good,it's on the ground, so far so good turkeys and coons have not hit it yet been up for over a month, i put a camo wrap on this one, got to remove the wrap ,looks like the bucks are tearing the wrap with their antlers, (good thing, hoping antler will fall under feeder)

Last edited:

swantucky

The Crew
Swanton, Ohio
This is how I did mine. Looking to modify it this winter by adding a timed spinner to it. Mike you need to bring some beer over on a Saturday afternoon and we can build you one. I have all of the materials.

Attachments

• p_000689.jpg
    p_000689.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 148

jlane

dunn nc
This is how I did mine. Looking to modify it this winter by adding a timed spinner to it. Mike you need to bring some beer over on a Saturday afternoon and we can build you one. I have all of the materials.

i;m going away from spinner plates, don;t want any unnessary noise around my feeders, also not hunting over feeders, older bucks get too cautious once they get spooked when spinner comes on with him standing there,setting everything up as far as i can then getting about half way from bedding to feeders,have watched bucks stage aways back until dark before they commit to coming to feeders after dark, also they plus older does will start looking for anything out of place before they come on in, several times i have watched fawns come running in while the doe will stop a ways back and look and listen,rule of thumb, the best scent,and sound is no scent or sound, bump too many deer going in or out when hunting over feeders,your feeder look very interesting do you have any big antlers eating off the plate,i'm seeing antlers hitting barrels if i don;t offset the pan

swantucky

The Crew
Swanton, Ohio
Funny you say that...we have put out our first spinner and it has spooked the hell out of the deer. Turned a productive spot into a wasteland. I assumed that once they get used to the noise they would become comfortable around them. Are you finding this is not the case?? We were going to wait until after the season to install anymore so they had all year to adjust to them. You have me second guessing them now.

Our reason for the spinner is to limit the amount of feed. With all of the coons, skerls, and deer it gets out of hand the volume of corn we are going through. We are well into our second ton of corn since the end of Sept. That is in addition to 500lbs of beets and almost 3 tons of apples. lol I could raise a couple steers for what I in deer feed. lol

IVSA

3-4 in. PVC pipe about 5 ft in length with a five gallon bucket attached to the top. Cut a hole in the bucket and your good to go!
The amount of deer and good bucks we have seen increased quickly when we got away from electric feeders.

jlane

dunn nc
do yourself an experment,get 3 feeders and put them at different places ,perfirably on different tracks of land, two spinners and one gravity, set frist spinner to go off at 2pm , set next spinner to go off at 2am, then put cams on all, watch what happens,2pm will go nocturnal quickly, 2am will have less mature deer but daytime movement on younger deer, gravity or no feeder(just putting corn out) will consistantly have deer all night and a lot of movement during the day,thinking we are going to keep it as naturale as possible,plant anything green for late season, rye,oats,clover,turnips, plant old road beds, pastures(with landowners permission,)then not frequnt the area as much, hunt trails leading to and from food,i think cam will spook old mature bucks if not the corect ones, just because it;s black-out dosen;t mean the deer can;t see it glow,( take one go in bathroom close door set it up facing mirrow turn out lights and watch the mirrow,), brush them in or set them high,remember during the rut all bets are off, never know when or where he will show,

jlane

dunn nc
Funny you say that...we have put out our first spinner and it has spooked the hell out of the deer. Turned a productive spot into a wasteland. I assumed that once they get used to the noise they would become comfortable around them. Are you finding this is not the case?? We were going to wait until after the season to install anymore so they had all year to adjust to them. You have me second guessing them now.

Our reason for the spinner is to limit the amount of feed. With all of the coons, skerls, and deer it gets out of hand the volume of corn we are going through. We are well into our second ton of corn since the end of Sept. That is in addition to 500lbs of beets and almost 3 tons of apples. lol I could raise a couple steers for what I in deer feed. lol

ypur proball not going to do much with squrrels, but getting it off the ground will limit the coon and turkeys, i have sqirrels climbing metal feeder legs

jlane

dunn nc
THUMB_100EK113-EK000474.JPGTHUMB_100EK113-EK000479.JPGTHUMB_100EK113-EK000480.JPG i think they must have magnets in their damn feet, but their fat as hell:smiley_clap:rotflmao

Last edited: