Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Airbow?

runhunter

while it may be cool to have and use in the backyard, I hope it doesn't become legal to hunt with. I understand technology brought us compound bows, and improved crossbow designs, but the fact is, it is much easier to kill with these weapons. Yes, you still have to get the deer within range, but at that point it's point and shoot. Not a fan of this at all, and shame on Jim Shockey

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I'm not so sure it's technology that's went too far. I really see it no different than the high tech crossbows we have out hunting today. The deer still has to be in the same close range as bows and crossbows, it isn't going to shoot much further, just easier to use.
It's like saying you can only use this or that because I don't like it the new one. Bow hunters said this when compound bows came out, said it when crossbows were permitted to deer hunt with. The shotgun hunters said it when the state introduced pistol hunting. And shotgun and pistols hunter said it when the PCR was introduced 2 yrs ago.
I rather think it's a good item.

teej89

NE PA
Ehhhhh I'm torn on it. Is it pretty neat? Yeah but with the faster reload time I think it shouldn't be able to make it into being legal for archery. A crossbow I don't care b/c you have one shot unless you are really good and can reload a crossbow fast and unnoticed.

However... I definitely think it's a good idea for people with disabilities that cannot draw a compound or draw a crossbow.

Jamie

Ohio
Seems like a good tool to help people physically unable to pull back a compound/crossbow get into archery.

this is not archery, and is no more a gateway to archery hunting than using a rifle or shotgun. is pretty neat technology, but it isn't archery. not even close. bothers me a lot that the onslaught of technology continues to blur the line between what is a bow and arrow and what isn't. still, Ohio will be the first state to allow it during archery season if there is money to be made, just like compound crossbows.

OO2

In the Uplands
Okay maybe gateway was the wrong word to use. Maybe continue their "bow" hunting career after suffering some kind of injury that rendered them unable to use any other method.

I also am opposed to a bunch of John Does being allowed to tote this around in the woods. Just doesn't seem very sporting.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I sorta thought of archery as a arrow being used as it's short range only. The delivery devise is only required to shoot the arrow. The sporting aspect is in the getting close and being setup to get close in the right spot without deer spooking.

runhunter

I sorta thought of archery as a arrow being used as it's short range only. The delivery devise is only required to shoot the arrow. The sporting aspect is in the getting close and being setup to get close in the right spot without deer spooking.

True to an extent. Archery hunters have to Stand up (depending on the stand/situation), pick a spot to draw while remaining undetected, potentially have to hold at full draw until a proper angle presents itself, and still remain calm enough to make the shot. With weapons like this, it's basically wait and shoot. There's a lot more that goes into a bow kill, than a crossbow kill IMO. Not to mention, the majority of kids are now taking hunter Ed tests with xbows because it's easier. I'm glad they're getting involved, but there seems to be a lack of respect for the hunt itself and learning how to master a weapon. There's a trend of making the kill easier, and I'm not a fan of it. Maybe I'm wrong but I've seen numerous guys who struggled with a compound switch immediately to a xbow and kill really nice deer. Not sure that's just coincidence

True to an extent. Archery hunters have to Stand up (depending on the stand/situation), pick a spot to draw while remaining undetected, potentially have to hold at full draw until a proper angle presents itself, and still remain calm enough to make the shot. With weapons like this, it's basically wait and shoot. There's a lot more that goes into a bow kill, than a crossbow kill IMO. Not to mention, the majority of kids are now taking hunter Ed tests with xbows because it's easier. I'm glad they're getting involved, but there seems to be a lack of respect for the hunt itself and learning how to master a weapon. There's a trend of making the kill easier, and I'm not a fan of it. Maybe I'm wrong but I've seen numerous guys who struggled with a compound switch immediately to a xbow and kill really nice deer. Not sure that's just coincidence

I beg to differ with your opinion. The criteria one sets to how he or she hunts has little to do with whether a bow or crossbow is the weapon of choice. From my experience it takes more difficulty for me to shoot a deer at 20 yards or less traveling through a natural funnel with my crossbow vs a hunter carrying a bow and shooting a deer at 40 yards over a pile of corn. How one decides to play the game by far outweighs what he carries to play the game. JMHO