Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Close call yesterday

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
Yesterday my family and some friends were doing some shooting and I had a scary experience. I was shooting my Savage .17, that I've shot many times before. I almost always shoot Hornadys 17 grain out of it, but I was getting low so I switched to federals. In the past, the federals have misfired numerous times, which is why I never use them. So one of my shots, I pulled the trigger and it just clicked. Assuming just another misfire, I ejected the shell and jacked another one in. Just as I was getting ready to shoot my brother stopped me and told me to hold on. The shell that I jacked out, was actually just the casing with the powder still in it. The bullet itself had gotten lodged into the front of my barrel (closest to the bolt). Had my brother not noticed, I would've shot, probly turning a good day into a bad one pretty fast. Has anyone else ever had this happen? I plan on sending Federal all of these pictures and seeing if this is common. The federals are the only shells that do this.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
uploadfromtaptalk1451860454903.jpg

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Wow!
How lucky he noticed that. I have some shot some Federal in my 17 but the Hornadys always papered better so that's what I shoot too. Makes me want to deep 6 the Federal's.
What a year its been for bad ammo on this site.

Last edited:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Glad it didn't end in a bad way. Close one for sure. Just goes to show how easy it is to take little things for granted and not pay attention to the details. We shoot some of these guns so often we tend to go into autopilot... And that is eventually what bites otherwise attentive shooters right in the ass.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
WOW.... read them the riot act and make them give you a bunch of free stuff!
I do plan on contacting them for sure, but my intentions aren't to get free ammo or free stuff. I just want them to be aware of what happened and ask them if they've had any other cases like this. It honestly did upset me a little bit. I'm not sure how bad it would've been had I shot the next round, but I'm certain it wouldn't have been pretty.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
Glad it didn't end in a bad way. Close one for sure. Just goes to show how easy it is to take little things for granted and not pay attention to the details. We shoot some of these guns so often we tend to go into autopilot... And that is eventually what bites otherwise attentive shooters right in the ass.
You're exactly right. We had been shooting for a few hours, and would've never expected something like that to happen. I can guarantee you that for now on I'll be more alert and aware.

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
I do plan on contacting them for sure, but my intentions aren't to get free ammo or free stuff. I just want them to be aware of what happened and ask them if they've had any other cases like this. It honestly did upset me a little bit. I'm not sure how bad it would've been had I shot the next round, but I'm certain it wouldn't have been pretty.

Good for you. Glad you are okay.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have experienced this on more than one occasion. I have been VERY fortunate. One time I bought reloads. Something didn't seem right. I stopped. Emptied all rounds. I checked barrel for obstructions. Sure enough, primer went off, bullet was in 1 7/8" barrel of my 642.

Glad your brother caught this Jake. There is no target, game, or any such reason to squeeze off a round if there is ever a question about the prior round. ALWAYS stop, empty the weapon, and check your weapon if ANYTHING doesn't sound/feel/ or seem right.

Also keep it pointed down range or in a safe direction while checking.

In the military they called it "pop and no kick".