Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ruger 10/22 Takedown

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm going through the list of things I need for a personal and family SHTF bag. My goal other than getting back to work in 2016, is to have my family fully prepared for a scenario where the grid goes down for more than a week. I do not own a 22 plinker and it's been something I have wanted to buy for a while. Dad has a Ruger 10/22 and I used to own one. I know they are well loved. Wondered if anyone has bought the Takedown and what they thought of it. Primary use would be plinking with the kid and it would go in the family SHTF bag.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I have a couple 10/22's. Great workhorse. The take-down model seems like a great idea and is suppose to hold a zeroed sight in if torn down for a pack then re-assembled.
My ONLY issue with a semi auto (in my case the 10/22) is its inability to cycle sub sonic ammo. Its probably the same with all semi's. It will fire the one in the chamber but the low velocity load of a subsonic round is not enough to blow the bolt back and cycle the next round. (if a quiet round is important so as not to give away your location)

One useful option may be to have a "solvent trap" on the end... (so the smell of Hoppies wont give away your location of course...)

http://www.preppersdiscount.com/store/c17/SOLVENT_TRAP_KITS.html

https://www.solventtrap.net/

Last edited:

Huckleberry Finn

I have a Remington 597 and a half dozen 30 round clips but it's just not a reliable gun. I have eyed the Ruger American line in .22 since Tom bought one I think it was. Not a semi or a take down but a reliable option.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
The TD'S are awesome. They now have a bull barrel version.

I saw that. Very cool!

I see this gun shooting beer cans as much as anything. In a true survival situation, I have several other guns that I would use to provide for the family. I just like the idea of having a take down gun.

Wmiller07

I think they are really cool and great concept for a survival rifle. Its on my long list of guns to buy.

I have a Remington 597 and a half dozen 30 round clips but it's just not a reliable gun. I have eyed the Ruger American l. e in .22 since Tom bought one I think it was. Not a semi or a take down but a reliable option.

I bought a savage mark 2 fvsr but whatever. The reason why i went with a bolt action was because it will shoot amything. I might get a suppressor for it. My remington 597 that my dad bought me was when I was in fifth grade was such a piece of junk I sore off semi auto rimfires.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I've put a ton of rounds through ruger 10/22s and I've not had many problems at all. I've never had much problem with subsonic rounds either. Very very reliable gun in my opinion... One of the best out there for .22 lr.

Here's a question I've wondered recently... Why is there so much hype for the .22 lr? Why is .22 ammo so sought after and hard to find? I mean, it's easy peasy to find ammo for my .17 hmr. Why the big desire for a .22 plinker instead of a .17 plinker?

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I've put a ton of rounds through ruger 10/22s and I've not had many problems at all. I've never had much problem with subsonic rounds either. Very very reliable gun in my opinion... One of the best out there for .22 lr.

Here's a question I've wondered recently... Why is there so much hype for the .22 lr? Why is .22 ammo so sought after and hard to find? I mean, it's easy peasy to find ammo for my .17 hmr. Why the big desire for a .22 plinker instead of a .17 plinker?

Which sub sonic have worked for you?
I have only tried the Remigton CBee 22 in one of mine and they would not cycle...

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Thanks!

The CB's are at 740 FPS / ME @40 #
The CCI's are much faster. Mine (10-22) like the CCI. I'll have to watch for some but at 1050 FPS, aren't they almost as loud as standard round?

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I have a 10/22 Charger. I absolutely love it. It is accurate and tiny for a " shtf" type gun. It might be worth a look for your purposes, Jesse. I mounted a red dot on top. From a bench it drives tacks using a short bipod. You can shoot it as you would any other handgun or more like you would a rifle when trying to actually hit a squirrel or bunny. It's a slick little gun and I'm surprised it has not caught on more than it has.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thanks!

The CB's are at 740 FPS / ME @40 #
The CCI's are much faster. Mine (10-22) like the CCI. I'll have to watch for some but at 1050 FPS, aren't they almost as loud as standard round?

They are a bit inconsistent I think. Through a suppressor, they will crack every now and then. I don't think they're a whole lot quieter than a standard round.