Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Gimme that knife, Let me show you....

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Nothing good ever happens after saying that. Yesterday evening my buddy was gutting a button buck. And it drives me nuts how guys fiddle fart, finger fuck deer while gutting. So when he finally got to the ribs, I told him to give me knife and I would show him a little trick. Well, I wasnt over top the deer like normal, I was beside it. His knife had a shorter blade and slipped up past the ribs, and I'll be dammed if it didnt go straight into the side of my wrist right through my artery. I thought it just hit my sleeve, and I bent down to continue gutting, my buddy 3 feet away says "thats bad, Red". I looked up and my blood was shooting all over him as he is backing away. Immediately we walked to the road and used a belt for a turniquet, and I applied direct pressure and held my arm at eye level as my buddy hit 100mph to the ER. From the time of the cut to the ER was 7 minutes. As we arrived I noticed as I removed pressure that the bleeding has basically stopped. When we walked in covered in blood and hunters orange, They assumed I was shot, haha. Luckily they didnt have to transfer me to a vascular surgeon. It was a small puncture that we had stopped and it kinda walled itself off. A couple hours later, 3 stitches and a tetnus shot, I was home. No beer for New years, and no using my arm and wrist for a few days. It sucks cuz Im a lefty when I make love to myself, so It'll feel like a stranger the next couple days. All in all, coulda been alot worse.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
SOB..... Glad that wasn't worse then it was.... Good too see you kept your wits about you, a lot of folks wouldn't have.... First aid (which we called self aid and buddy care) were drilled into us for years when I was in the military, I always wondered if we'd of needed it the autopilot would have taken off....
Glad too see it wasn't worse then it was....
Maybe the ole lady will lend you a hand in a time of need lmao....

Glad you will heal up fine red. Sorry your have to take it easy the next few days.

I had a buddy that got pissed off and threw a snow shovel handle first in to the back of a pickup. It bounced right back at him and hit him in the same spot.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Damn dude that was a close one! Glad you're alright. What were you trying to do, cut through the sternum???

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
im squirming in my chair Red....glad you are alright man...that stuff scares the shit outta me. I can gut deer and clean fish and squirrels all day long, but if I see squirting blood im done!