Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Where to buy snares from? New to the game....

I am wanting to try snaring out for the last month or so of season (not sure how long it runs?). Although I was waiting for the snow now it seems like its never coming so figured I best just give it a try anyway. I have watched quite a few videos and feel comfortable that I cant make a valiant attempt at it but I was wondering where people have found it best to buy their snaring equipment from as I have never bought any before.

Also in general any advice would be appreciated on maybe good pointer tips.

http://www.snareshop.com/ is where some have recommended on here before. I've noticed that Bass Pro's and Cabela's are starting to carry them more too now. Not sure on some of the other retailers. Might be good to just pick up some from one of those to see if you enjoy doing it? That's what I've been hoping to do one of these days but like everything in my life, it's always a pipe dream.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Yep what Chuck said,The snare shop is where i get my supplies from.
Dont wait on snow to get after them.
I dont mind the snow as you can see where they have been but i do catch more with no snow on the ground,your snares will just blend in better,i would also suggest that you dye your snares before setting them, your catches will go up.
Good luck.

Also go to the small game forum and follow some of the trapping threads,you can learn plenty there.

Is there a certain brand or type that you would recommend? And I have been reading a few peoples threads for the last year or two now since 2014 season.

Thanks for the advice by the way. Snaring was illegal back in PA when I used to trap so it is a whole new experience. I don't have a whole lot of interest in coon/rat trapping anymore since the pelt prices are so low and I don't have a lot of time to dedicate to skinning/fleshing hides for little to no money but I want to start a collection of Fox/Yote hides for myself and snaring seems to be the best option for catching them.

Last edited:

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I like the micro lock snares and if you are setting areas where where they can get wrapped around trees or brush use the brushbuster snares they come without swivels on the tie off end.
If you are setting trails out in fields and such get the ones with swivels.
I usually order some of each.
Also get some cable stakes and a driver if you are going to set in open areas where you have nothing to tie off on.
I use the pogo stakes and pogo driver.
Also on your open area sets i would use some split rings to connect the snare to the cable stake.
You wont need to on your brush sets just make sure when you use your stick with wire attached to hold snare up that you dont have any limbs or brush above the snare,that will help prevent catching a deer.
But if you do catch a deer and have to turn it loose you are in for a treat.lol
Check your laws and see if you need deer stops on your snares,we have to have them in Ohio.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Just found this thread Brian...thanks for the info. If it's not going to snow this winter might as well set some snares!

You can't run those snares. Those have a non relaxing cam lock. You must have a relaxing lock on your snares, I made the mistake of buying those and I had to replace all the locks on them.

http://www.snareshop.com/mobile/prodinfo.asp?number=SNAREB101

Interesting thank you for making me aware of that may have to look into what is legal first before I just start buying.

If you don't mind my asking what length do you use for coyotes and fox as I have seen varying lengths being offered.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I prefer to use the 5 foot snares.the longer ones just give them more running room and leverage to run and pull out in the open,not bad if your in theck stuff though so they can get wrapped up.