Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ice Spikes...the threaded kind

I see where guys are using threaded ice spikes to anchor down their ice shelters. Rather than purchase some threaded ice spikes, wouldn't a screw-in tree step work?

How about a 4" to 6" large self-tapping screw or bolt?

Thank you, Bowhunter57

swantucky

The Crew
Swanton, Ohio
I'm not sure?? I'll try and remember to look at my ice anchors and see what the threads look like. Maybe a lag bolt would work?? I have never used m,y anchors, if its windy I take the slush from my holes and freeze my shanty tub to the ice. Works pretty slick.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Ice anchors are just lag bolts, but with T-handle heads on them. You could use lag bolts with a drill and they should work just fine. Find some BIG washers to use with them and you won't have to worry about your shelter grommets or carribeener clips coming off the bolts. Thanks for posting this question... I think I'm gonna go get some lag bolts and washers today. :)

badger

*Supporting Member*
I'm not sure?? I'll try and remember to look at my ice anchors and see what the threads look like. Maybe a lag bolt would work?? I have never used m,y anchors, if its windy I take the slush from my holes and freeze my shanty tub to the ice. Works pretty slick.

Same here, I pile snow and slush around the base of my shanty. I also have two short ropes attached at the back corners that have a short 1"x1" on the ends of them. I'll drill a hole for each and sink the 1"x1" stakes horizontal under the ice. I've only used them when it was snow free ice and very windy.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Same here, I pile snow and slush around the base of my shanty. I also have two short ropes attached at the back corners that have a short 1"x1" on the ends of them. I'll drill a hole for each and sink the 1"x1" stakes horizontal under the ice. I've only used them when it was snow free ice and very windy.

That's another damn good idea! It'd be easier just to drill a couple extra holes with the auger instead of fooling with ice anchors. Good stuff.

I'm taking my tree steps, but am going to look for some 6" lag bolts, on my way to the lake. I'll hit TSC on my way to the bait shop and then off to the lake. :smiley_bril:

My brother and I are going out to try a new piece of water, that neither of us have fished in many years. Schoonover Lake is inside the city limits, but it's extremely rare to see a boat on it. So, I'm guessing that the "city slickers" have never ice fished it either.

I've caught some nice bass and northerns out of this lake, in past years. I'll have to post some results, if we do good.

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

badger

*Supporting Member*
I'm taking my tree steps, but am going to look for some 6" lag bolts, on my way to the lake. I'll hit TSC on my way to the bait shop and then off to the lake. :smiley_bril:

My brother and I are going out to try a new piece of water, that neither of us have fished in many years. Schoonover Lake is inside the city limits, but it's extremely rare to see a boat on it. So, I'm guessing that the "city slickers" have never ice fished it either.

I've caught some nice bass and northerns out of this lake, in past years. I'll have to post some results, if we do good.

Looking forward to some fish pics! I can't decide if I'm going to sit in my blind or my shanty today.

badger said:
Looking forward to some fish pics! I can't decide if I'm going to sit in my blind or my shanty today.
badger,
I suggest the shanty vs. the blind. We nearly froze our asses off in the blind, due to the windows not being sealed shut. I had a propane heater running, but it wasn't able to keep up against the drafts through the windows. :smiley_armscrossed: I've got to make a trip to Cabelas and purchase one of their ice shelters. I've had my eyes on their Cabelas Ice Team Hub Shelter.

Well, we caught a few, but nothing worth keeping. My brother caught the biggest fish of the day, which was a 14" rainbow trout. A very healthy looking trout! He didn't want to keep it, so he released it.

They weren't hardly bitting at all and the only thing that they even gave a look at was spikes and wax worms. The minnows were untouched. I think we're going to try another farm pond tomorrow.

By the way... I used my tree steps as ice anchors and they worked great! I was very impressed as to how solid they were anchored into the ice.

COB-TY

Retired to the happy hunting grounds above.
Ohio
Have they got those for your shoes? I'm tried of ice skating and falling!!!!!!!!!!! :smiley_crocodile:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
badger,
I suggest the shanty vs. the blind. We nearly froze our asses off in the blind, due to the windows not being sealed shut. I had a propane heater running, but it wasn't able to keep up against the drafts through the windows. :smiley_armscrossed: I've got to make a trip to Cabelas and purchase one of their ice shelters. I've had my eyes on their Cabelas Ice Team Hub Shelter.

Well, we caught a few, but nothing worth keeping. My brother caught the biggest fish of the day, which was a 14" rainbow trout. A very healthy looking trout! He didn't want to keep it, so he released it.

They weren't hardly bitting at all and the only thing that they even gave a look at was spikes and wax worms. The minnows were untouched. I think we're going to try another farm pond tomorrow.

By the way... I used my tree steps as ice anchors and they worked great! I was very impressed as to how solid they were anchored into the ice.

One thing to try if they aren't hitting the minnows is to pinch off the tail and just use the minnow head. I know it sounds strange, but for some reason it works! This past weekend the perch didn't want anything to do with whole minnows... but as soon as I started using minnow heads, BAMMM they were all over it!

badger

*Supporting Member*
One thing to try if they aren't hitting the minnows is to pinch off the tail and just use the minnow head. I know it sounds strange, but for some reason it works! This past weekend the perch didn't want anything to do with whole minnows... but as soon as I started using minnow heads, BAMMM they were all over it!

I've seen big flatheads in the summer that would take a thumbnail piece of shad but swim away from anything bigger.