Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

You've got one shot...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I broke the muzzleloader out this morning to get it ready for Mon/Tues and regular smokepole season. It's a damn tack driver and easily my most accurate gun for a single shot. It got me thinking about this scenario and I wondered what you all would choose.

It's the end of days and you've managed to kept the family safe, but each day it's getting harder and harder to stay ahead of the danger. In a true SHTF moment, you discover a nuclear warhead armed to go off in a matter of minutes. The only "safe" spot to wipe out the controls and disarm the bomb is 100 paces away. Knowing a shot will give away your position and further endanger you, you've only got one shot. One shot from you 100 yards at a 4" target to save you, your family and possibly many more.

What would your gun of choice be?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
You guys make me want a quality bolt-action rifle more than I already do. Feel like other than a plinker .22 and a lever action, that's what I'm missing.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
.243 with my Ruger 77.... Leupold 4x12 would do the trick..... Hand loads and sub 1" groups at 100 yards.....

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I'd still use my 12 lb AR 15 in 223 AI- Ackley Improved. No recoil and I can put 4-5 rounds in that control panel before a bolt action shooter can get the 2nd round off. Rules in a serious situation are to be broken to safe the family.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
"My" go to gun is my Savage 17hmr. It may be a little light for this particular job. I have a very accurate Remington 243. I haven't shot it enough to feel as comfortable as I do with my Savage 22-250. For a "one shot, one kill" situation needing a larger caliber, I would use the 22-250. I am more comfortable with an AR platform but am in the process of replacing my AR. . . .since mine disappeared. Lol

A dialed in AR would be plenty accurate as well even in 223. Like Frank, it would be nice to have faster follow up shots to take out each and every enemy combatant as they zeroed in on my position. I would take out as many of them as possible until my life was sacrificed for my family and my country. Merica!

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Winchester model 70 in 300 win mag. You have to have the claw on the bolt.

Don't want to knock a Win 70 but never had bolt malfunction with a Rem 700 in almost 50 yrs. It sounds important if your writing magazine articles but in real life no so important. IMHO

Don't want to knock a Win 70 but never had bolt malfunction with a Rem 700 in almost 50 yrs. It sounds important if your writing magazine articles but in real life no so important. IMHO

Ive had multiple times the round did not make it down the chamber on my 700. instead the tip of the round hit the top of the action and the breach. I dont hate the 700 or push feed actions but the 70 does have better round feeding and more positive ejection(there are lots of 700s that hardly eject cases). If i were going to build a bolt action again it would be on a 70, savage or tikka action.

Last edited:

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
The bomb would probably go off while I stand there trying to decide which of several I would use that are capable of the shot. lol...

A 4" target at 100 paces is certainly larger than a deer heart...

Last edited:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Hell if all you had too do is hit the target I'd use my .22 mag.... It's a tack driver out too a hundred but at least with the .243 it'll have some more damage power behind it....

Wmiller07

My AR with bushmaster 2 stage trigger and my Sierra soft point handloads. Under an inch at 100 yards all day and no recoil.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Any long gun I have is more than capable of +3 MOA at 100, including the old model 60 .22 and my Frankenstein mossberg slug gun.