Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ohio Rabbit hunting

Tesen

Hey Guys,

I've not hunted since I was a kid (and that was in a different country!); I am looking to hunt Rabbits and squirrel. I live near Canton and don't know anyone with land I can hunt on (well a couple in Harrison County) so will need to hunt public lands to stay relatively close to home. Any tips for locations around Canton (+/- 50 mile radius)? I went stomping around Shreve Lake on Thursday with not much luck :(

Not sure on Ohio rabbit behavior - is it to early in the season? Yeah I am a noob :)

Thanks,
Tesen

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I'm not sure about the canton area, but if you have connections in Harrison around the Tappan Lake area, you may do really well. That always looked good to me.

Right now is prime bunny hunting time. You have a good dog? If so, get it out there and beat that bush.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I like snow and running the girls in it within reason... But a cool wet day is just as good in my book...

Wingman

Not sure about where you are...but here in central Ohio, the biodiversity really sucks, and the farmers have basically killed off a large majority of the habitat for animals like rabbits. Being that the biodiversity is so out of whack...birds of prey like hawks and eagles have doubled or even tripled in population because they have adapted better than a lot of other species to the pressures of farmers, and thus have also helped diminish species like rabbits. You literally see birds like this EVERYWHERE where I live in Knox county. But of course they would never manage the "pretty" or "cute" or "majestic" romanticized species like this. Ohio DNR is CLUELESS when it comes to conservation and management. You might be better off heading down to southeast Ohio where there is less farming and more habitat...it might be worth the drive.

Blan37

SW Ohio
Not sure about where you are...but here in central Ohio, the biodiversity really sucks, and the farmers have basically killed off a large majority of the habitat for animals like rabbits. Being that the biodiversity is so out of whack...birds of prey like hawks and eagles have doubled or even tripled in population because they have adapted better than a lot of other species to the pressures of farmers, and thus have also helped diminish species like rabbits. You literally see birds like this EVERYWHERE where I live in Knox county. But of course they would never manage the "pretty" or "cute" or "majestic" romanticized species like this. Ohio DNR is CLUELESS when it comes to conservation and management. You might be better off heading down to southeast Ohio where there is less farming and more habitat...it might be worth the drive.

Raptors are federally protected. Doesn't have anything to do with ODNR.

Have to have farmland somewhere, dude. It's how we eat.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Raptors are federally protected. Doesn't have anything to do with ODNR.

Have to have farmland somewhere, dude. It's how we eat.

Actually we don't eat hardly any of the corn and soybeans grown in ohio. By proxy I guess we do because a lot of it goes do animal feed. But the vast majority of it is used for industrial uses and exported.

Bigcountry40

Hey Guys,

I've not hunted since I was a kid (and that was in a different country!); I am looking to hunt Rabbits and squirrel. I live near Canton and don't know anyone with land I can hunt on (well a couple in Harrison County) so will need to hunt public lands to stay relatively close to home. Any tips for locations around Canton (+/- 50 mile radius)? I went stomping around Shreve Lake on Thursday with not much luck :(

Not sure on Ohio rabbit behavior - is it to early in the season? Yeah I am a noob :)

Thanks,
Tesen

If you have dogs you are more than welcome to come and hunt with us in Erie/Sandusky County We will put together a nice hunt after muzzle loader. I may have a place to rabbit hunt in Richland County after deer season is over, again need dogs.