Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Two new hunters

KaBar2336

I have hunted a few times in tree stands with a buddy of mine on private land. This year is my first time in a blind and public land. I have my brother in law with me who has never hunted before. I am in NE Ohio and have sat out for 4-4-5 hours at a time at Wingfoot (archery lanes area) and at West branch on the south side by the farm land. We have seen one at Wingfoot about 150 yards behind us but that's it. No movement otherwise. Has anyone had any luck at either location or know of any other local public spots?

Thank you in advance

KaBar2336

Thanks, I may have to do more scouting. I have been busy so usually just come in the day before and walk around a bit to find a few good spots for the blind then come back to hunt the next morning or so. Is it true that there is more activity in the evening this late in the year?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Typically afternoon hunts are more fruitful this time of year. However this is an atypical year with the weather being so warm, so all bets are off.

Welcome to the forum and good luck!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
What town/city are you by??? I see you've been too the west branch area, there are some others with in a half hour of so east and south....

Berlin and zeppernick come too mind...

KaBar2336

I live in Ellet. Have tried Wingfoot Lake which is 9 min from my house and West Branch which is 35. Have been to Berlin to fish but never to hunt and never herd of Zeppernick. Any tips on where to set up at either?

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Welcome and I hope you stick around.

Whatever you do, don't get frustrated! This has been the craziest/most unpredictable deer season I have ever seen in my 38 years of hunting.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Welcome and good luck!

Hunt as much as you can and sit in TS or blind located downwind of travel routes and pinch points between known bedding areas and the preferred food the deer are using at this time.

The closer you set up to the bedding area "without" alerting the deer of your presence the better! Doesn't do much good if you're too close to the food and it's dark or low light when they get there in other words.