Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

hunting pressure- who can explain it

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I hear this all the time. I am like most, and I hunt when I can as often as I can, I am not able to only pick the best days to hunt.

So what is it about low pressure, high pressure, what should a guy look for? Changes? Certain range? ETC.

I am a novice when it comes to this so no answer is too basic! Thank you!

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I am referring to weather in this post. Not pressure from hunters. Sorry it's been a long day!

Kaiser878

ohio
I keep a very detailed log. I notice that any time there is a strep rise or steep decline in pressure deer move well.. also, when the BP reaches 30.2 or higher, u best be in your best stand in the area of your best buck.

The deer I killed thisbyesr was a bit of an anomoly..... he moved best in daylight in super mow pressure days after it was consistently low... but I saw him and killed him on super high pressure days. Days around 30.2+

I wish I kept a detailed log of my hunts over the years. Fact is I'm like others in that I get out when I can. If I'm down for my week of vacation, unlike this year :tantrum: , I don't pay attention to anything other than wind direction. Sure would be interesting to know if any of the pressure factors played a roll in any deer I've killed though or sightings of big boys.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I keep a very detailed log. I notice that any time there is a strep rise or steep decline in pressure deer move well.. also, when the BP reaches 30.2 or higher, u best be in your best stand in the area of your best buck.

The deer I killed thisbyesr was a bit of an anomoly..... he moved best in daylight in super mow pressure days after it was consistently low... but I saw him and killed him on super high pressure days. Days around 30.2+

Do you log just hunts or are you monitoring daylight movement via trail cameras and bm pressure?

Kaiser878

ohio
I keep a log of date, temp, bp, sunrise/set moon phase, wind direction..... then I go back and correlate daylight buck pics with those logs.... the deer I killed this yesr had two distinct patterns, one more reliable than the other, like I metioned above.

If i ever get behind on my log data i can look back at weather records and get just about everything but wind direction and speed

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I keep a log of date, temp, bp, sunrise/set moon phase, wind direction..... then I go back and correlate daylight buck pics with those logs.... the deer I killed this yesr had two distinct patterns, one more reliable than the other, like I metioned above.

If i ever get behind on my log data i can look back at weather records and get just about everything but wind direction and speed

I need to start this. I've been wanting to but haven't. This has to be amazing to see direct correlations in movement and weather.