Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Woods Litter

giblet

So I’m spending a fair amount of time on public lands these days trying to get things kick started again. One thing that amazes me is the complete lack of respect people have for the property they are on. Why with the amount of litter I pass in a days walk I think I could fill up 4 or 5 big trash bags…easy and it don’t matter if you’re in 100 yards or a mile….. it’s still there. Another source of trash I’m seeing is these field dressing gloves seems everybody is using nowadays. They will gut a deer and then just throw the gloves on the ground and leave them when they are done-saw this twice yesterday. When did a deer become such a biological hazard that you need gloves anyways? And if you are that scared of dying from some deer germs, why not throw the gloves up in the carcass and throw them out when you get home? I just never understood this logic – if you can take it in with you, why can’t you just carry it back out?
It’s no damn wonder people don’t want anybody on their property anymore.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I agree n the liter. I wear gloves when I field dress deer as I'm t avoid bacteria due t 2 heart implants. But I sure as hell don't throw them down when finished.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Invest in a good pair of nitrile gloves and they'll last, I've used the same pair for the last 3-4 years and that includes rabbit season as well....

I'd say for the AEP hunt we carry trash bags and do a little policing as well....

Jason Short

Wayne County
There is tons of trash in a lot of the spots I hunt, sometimes full bags of trash or mattresses are tossed in parking areas. I load up a bag or two and carry it out when I have the time.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
They pounded that shit in our heads about picking up litter when I was a Boy Scout back in the 70's - we picked up litter everywhere we went.
The thought of throwing something in the woods would completely short-circuit my brain - I don't understand how people can do it.

God bless the Boy Scouts.

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I'm glad you guys brought this up. Up behind the house near my ground blind & ladder stand, there has been a little plastic swimming pool laying in the briars for quite a number of years. It was blown up in there during a heavy wind storm & I honestly can't imagine where it even came from. I've always wanted to cut my way in there & retrieve it so I could feed it to the trash truck, but somehow it always slipped by. Anyway, upon reading these post's inspired me to actually do it today with all the warm weather. The deer walked right by it & now I wonder if they'll miss it. I just gotta hide it behind the camper until trash day since it'll otherwise befuddle the neighbors...lol.