Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

"J"'s Rabbit season

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Well I figured I'd get one started for the season....

Woke up too 27 degrees and figured it'd be a good morning too get the girls out.... It's been a while and I've neglected their field time for chasing deer, my deer hunting drive has been waining so it's bunny time....

Picked up the girls and headed too farm #1 stopped by and talked too the owner and shot the breeze for about 15 minutes catching up on how he and the Mrs are doing, all is well with them.... Wished him a merry Xmas and off too the woods I went.... Dropped the tailgate and off we go....

Run #1 lasted about 20 minutes, saw it twice and they were well behind it, went into a wood pile and I believe there's a hole in there because it never came out.....

Run #2 was about 30 minutes later and it was short and sweet.... Lasted about 5 minutes and they lost it... It was kind of weird, like it just vanished.... I'm assuming a hole but looked around where they lost the track and no holes too be found.... Oh well that's bunnies for you....

Spent about another hour there and no other runs.... I cut out about a third the property due too snares being run, and have talked too the trapper and know where they're at so I just stay away from the area....

Second property is 1/8 mile up the road, small 10 acre parcel which when we first started hunting it in the early 80's it was one overgrown pasture.... Not so much anymore.... Had 3 great runs there and was there for close too two hours.... Lots of shot opportunities just never pulled the trigger.... I'm more about working the dogs now and will fill the game bag later in the season....

Spot #3 pulled in and they brush hogged it to the point of being almost no thickets.... Used too have a great population of bunnies.... Not so much today.... Was here for about an hour and no runs were had.... Although the girls were pretty tired by the time we got there lol.... Should of left parcel 2 a little earlier I guess lol.....

You know when you've had a good day???? With food in hand you beat the dogs too the kennel lol.... They were slow going from the truck too the kennel lol....

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I've mentioned before, Katie just turned 11 and she has slowed in the last two years.... She really showed her age today after trying too keep up with Sarah and Candy..... Made me feel bad for her, a couple of times while watching for the rabbit being pushed I'd lost track of her and had that moment of panic of her laying down and not getting back up..... But she'd come trudging along bringing up the rear.... I'm not looking forward too retiring her....

Gordo

Athens County
It has gotta be fun to watch them beagles working together. Another great excuse for having to be in the great outdoors! This crew is full of them

Jamie

Ohio
a good day, indeed. :smiley_clap: it isn't always about killing something. handling dogs, watching them work, is a joy in and of itself. they teach us as much as we teach them if we let them.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
a good day, indeed. :smiley_clap: it isn't always about killing something. handling dogs, watching them work, is a joy in and of itself. they teach us as much as we teach them if we let them.

Couldn't agree more Jamie....

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
This is the first season I can remember not making it out opening day when I was home.... Just got too wrapped up with the deer is all....

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
12/19.... Woke up and had a cup of coffee, looked at the weather and figured I'd head out for a couple of hours.... Loaded up he truck, headed too my buddy Mikes place too pick up the girls.... Loaded up and let him sleep in as he works swings.... Hit a farm that's mostly fields but has some good thickets, dropped the tailgate at 1015 and after their rituals of taking two or three dumps then they were off.... They lit up on one at 1030 and from that point too 1230 it was non stop action....

At one point we had 3 rabbits going at the same time, a first for me.... Luckily after about a half hour all 3 ran too the same section of woods and from there they merged back into one pack again....

They ran the entire time we were there, I was planning on hitting two farms today but after the work out they got on the first one, the second farm can wait lol....

They didn't want too leave which I figured would happen but with all the running I was stuck in one spot for an hour and a half and was getting cold lol....

I had 6 shot opportunities this morning and at one point one rabbit laid down in front of me under a log, pulled up and pointed and said bang you're dead lol... He didn't seem too be amused lol.... The rabbit shot a 90 degree and they blew past it a little ways and that's when I called it off, hand full of treats and into the box they went.... 2 solid hours of running was a good workout for them.... Was really good too blow them cobwebs off of the ladies....

My plan is too hit farm #2 tomorrow.... We'll see lol.... May sleep in and make waffles lol

Last edited:

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Sounds like I can finally keep up with Katie.(lol) What great dogs you have J!
If I ever get out of da patch, I need to get w/ ya!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Sounds like I can finally keep up with Katie.(lol) What great dogs you have J!
If I ever get out of da patch, I need to get w/ ya!

You have an open invitation my friend.... Anytime..... You can crash here if you want.....

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Oh what the difference a day makes.... Went too a farm I've been deer hunting this year's.... The neighbors (owners daughter) had their blue healer out and it wouldn't leave and I didn't want too let the girls out as he's really aggressive.... Wasn't worth the headaches, headed back too the farm I was at yesterday and had one run in 3 hours.... Good exercise form both the girls and I but just a short 20 minute run... Beautiful day out and not as much wind as yesterday... Did finally see some decent deer sign... Waffles were really good this morning lol.... Due too that I got a latter start then I wanted too lol....

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Yeah probably should, but I always think of it after the fact lol.... I need too bring my buddy Shaun he's the video guy lol....