Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Any ideas?

OhioHunter88

Perry County
Any ideas whats up with this deer? Drivers side tines are all balled up on the ends and I also noticed that ear is ripped, think maybe it was damges during velvet or what? Also would be interested on where you see him on inches, its obvious he's a pretty dominant buck IMO

10-13-15 scrape (4).jpg
10-13-15 scrape (9).jpg
12-17-15 primos (62).JPG
12-17-15 primos (63).JPG
12-17-15 primos (64).JPG
12-17-15 scrape 2 (47).jpg
12-17-15 scrape 2 (49).jpg

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'd agree it was probably a velvet injury. Cool looking rack. I'd say he's got 140+ gross inches up there. Kinda hard to judge and I didn't really put ink on paper, just a guess.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Those are like teardrop tattoos for prisoners. That would be a count of the number of gay encounters this buck has had. . . .Thus the mushroom shape. Sort of like "The Scarlet Letter", but for gay bucks.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Those are like teardrop tattoos for prisoners. That would be a count of the number of gay encounters this buck has had. . . .Thus the mushroom shape. Sort of like "The Scarlet Letter", but for gay bucks.

Phil you have too much info.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Hopefully someone else chimes in. I read somewhere an "acorn" antler tip can be from an insect (mosquito or gnat I think) laid eggs in the velvet and this is how the antler growth changed or formed around it? Maybe that was if there was a hole in the horn? Seems there was something about insects laying eggs in the velvet which causes some of these unique antler growths.

Someone more educated than me knows this answer. If not, they should. I have seen these before. Think my 2010 buck has one.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
Hopefully someone else chimes in. I read somewhere an "acorn" antler tip can be from an insect (mosquito or gnat I think) laid eggs in the velvet and this is how the antler growth changed or formed around it? Maybe that was if there was a hole in the horn? Seems there was something about insects laying eggs in the velvet which causes some of these unique antler growths.

Someone more educated than me knows this answer. If not, they should. I have seen these before. Think my 2010 buck has one.

I am NOT more educated than you but I would think that might cause a hole in antler more than acorn tip. Unless insects only lay eggs at antler tips. Acorn points are very cool.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
Any ideas whats up with this deer? Drivers side tines are all balled up on the ends and I also noticed that ear is ripped, think maybe it was damges during velvet or what? Also would be interested on where you see him on inches, its obvious he's a pretty dominant buck IMO

I have a buck right now that was wounded by a bolt through his back loins this year. He walks slowly and "stretched" out right now while he's recovering. The pics of your buck looks like he is stretched out too. Could he have had a possible back wound last year? Do you have any previous history with this buck? I'm just making this observation on the few pics you posted. You may have many other pics that nullify this observation. Just a thought.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
Well I just googled it. Acorn tips are formed by jamming the end of an antler tip during growth. Holes are from a tear in velvet.

http://www.northamericanwhitetail.c...ment_nawthe_world_of_whitetail_antlersii0910/

I also found this:

Antlerman has it right. The acorn tips are caused when the soft spongy developing antler (bone) is injured or fractured. The resulting flare is the result of that fracture healing under the velvet. The holes or tulips are also injury related. If the velvet is injured, flies can lay eggs in the bloody wound and the resultant larva (which live off the decaying tissue) cause the rounded holes while the antler continues to develop around them. Fly larva are incapable of penetrating healthy, uninjured velvet. Both deformities are the results of injury; one to the developing antler, and the other to the velvet itself.

Last edited:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Well I just googled it. Acorn tips are formed by jamming the end of an antler tip during growth. Holes are from a tear in velvet.

http://www.northamericanwhitetail.c...ment_nawthe_world_of_whitetail_antlersii0910/

I also found this:

Antlerman has it right. The acorn tips are caused when the soft spongy developing antler (bone) is injured or fractured. The resulting flare is the result of that fracture healing under the velvet. The holes or tulips are also injury related. If the velvet is injured, flies can lay eggs in the bloody wound and the resultant larva (which live off the decaying tissue) cause the rounded holes while the antler continues to develop around them. Fly larva are incapable of penetrating healthy, uninjured velvet. Both deformities are the results of injury; one to the developing antler, and the other to the velvet itself.

Very cool info Mike. I knew of the acorn tip cause but wasn't sure of the holes or why the holes were started in the first place. Thanks for sharing!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thanks Spencie. I knew the eggs/larva had something to do with one of the abnormalities. Just had my details mixed up. Appreciate your sharing of this.