Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The Butchering Thread

Kaiser878

ohio
I mean I don't look forward to it.... but I also know it needs done and it's part of harvesting a deer. It's been that way since the very first deer I shot in 1995 when I was 11..... it's something I have always taken pride in..... also, it gives me reassurance that my hide will not be messed up on my bucks for when they get mounted.... since I'm the one skinning it.

I realize not everyone has the resources or time to do it.... but the thought of not doing it is foreign to me....

Reactions: Tipmoose

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
One day I'd like to process my own but it's just not in the cards right now. I'm totally satisfied with my processor and I've never been disappointed with her work. The meat is always trimmed, de-boned and all the silver skin is removed.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
One day I'd like to process my own but it's just not in the cards right now. I'm totally satisfied with my processor and I've never been disappointed with her work. The meat is always trimmed, de-boned and all the silver skin is removed.
Same here. If I see the quality go down, maybe it'll inspire me to do my own. Until then, what I'm paying for is as good as I'd do and like I said, my time is worth more than I pay to have them done.

Kaiser878

ohio
I recently bought one off a sales website on favebook. It's called bargain hunters unite Tusc county....

Check and see if there is one for your county.... you can pick up a good working fridge for 50 bucks.

Ohiobowhunter1

Columbus
Jesse, My Dad and I just started doing our own deer this year. We decided to over the summer months because Thurns went up to 120.00 for a standard cut. We split up the things we needed and bought knives, vacuum sealer and grinder for about 300.00 total investment(Already had a full size freezer in the garage). To date we have butchered 4 deer, my 2, Dads 1 and sons 1. It gets easier every time. Last one my Dad took @ 8 am on Monday of gun season and we had it in the cooler in 2 hours. We did take Tuesday morning to grind and vacuum seal which took about 90 minutes. It does help to have a partner for sure.

jeremy44230

Medina County
I recently bought one off a sales website on favebook. It's called bargain hunters unite Tusc county....

Check and see if there is one for your county.... you can pick up a good working fridge for 50 bucks.

Do you do anything special on the inside of the fridge? Do you hang the meat in it or just set it in there? I'm building a garage in the spring and a spare fridge sounds like a plan.... Ten j won't feel so rushed when butchering....

Kaiser878

ohio
I put freezer paper down on the racks and just lay it in there. I have my buddies dads buck in the fridge now that has been in there since last sunday. I'll cut it up tonight. Or tomorrow. Should be aged nicely....

I will someday have a small wall in cooler that I can keep around 35-38°f.... that's down the road though. For rt now I just quarter em and put them in the fridge....

Buckmaster

Portage
I wrap my quarters in unscented garbage bags and place on the refrigerator shelf until I get around to them.
My fridge is also my beer fridge preset to 33 degrees.

Kaiser878

ohio
Jesse, My Dad and I just started doing our own deer this year. We decided to over the summer months because Thurns went up to 120.00 for a standard cut. We split up the things we needed and bought knives, vacuum sealer and grinder for about 300.00 total investment(Already had a full size freezer in the garage). To date we have butchered 4 deer, my 2, Dads 1 and sons 1. It gets easier every time. Last one my Dad took @ 8 am on Monday of gun season and we had it in the cooler in 2 hours. We did take Tuesday morning to grind and vacuum seal which took about 90 minutes. It does help to have a partner for sure.
I would are with this..... having an extra set of hands makes the grinding and packaging a lot more enjoyable

Buckmaster

Portage
As long as they can follow simple instructions, keep their fingers out of where they're not supposed to be, able to cut paper, pull tape, and reasonably write....they may be qualified butcher assistants. This was my son at 4.

Another year or two to go Jesse then you can continue to celebrate the life of your deer with K.

Attachments

• Grinder.jpg
    Grinder.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 460
  • Bolonga.jpg
    Bolonga.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 463
  • Grinder.jpg
    Grinder.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 476
  • Meat Mixer.jpg
    Meat Mixer.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 493
  • Brendan Mixing.jpg
    Brendan Mixing.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 488
  • Brendan Sausage Stuffing.jpg
    Brendan Sausage Stuffing.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 481
Reactions: Tipmoose

jeremy44230

Medina County
Where do you get a grinder like that? Looks like. Big one would make my life a whole lot better!! I use the meat grinder attachment for the kitchen aide stand mixer. Does real good but I have to put small pieces in it....

My next purchase is the sausage stuffer!

Kaiser878

ohio
You are almost better off to build one.... mine is a home made one. Strong and pumps the burger out like crazy.....

Kaiser878

ohio
If u look up the parts, it's cheaper to build one than it is to buy one of comparable size and functionality... then, your not paying for a name brand as well.... and when it comes time to replace parts, you know where and what to krder. Based off of where u bought ur stuff.