Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Outboard motors.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
My father in law bought a used boat a few months ago. Yesterday, he informed me that his wife would actually like a different one and asked me if I was interested in buying his. I told him I would give him what he has in it and he agreed.
So here I am, with a 16 foot (I am pretty sure it 16 foot) imperial v bottom, a trailor, and 2 outboard motors. The boat is in pretty good shape for its age, the trailor looks to be in great shape. It's the motors that I'm not sure about. Neither one runs. The one on the boat is a mercury 850, not sure how old, but I'm guessing mid to early 70s. He was told when he bought it, the motor runs, but needs a starter. He has since replaced the starter, but thinks there might be some issues with dry rot wiring. The other motor, I assume, is more for parts than anything else. It's a mercury 800, 80 hp. I'm not sure where to look for some sort of an ID plate with a date of manufacture, but it looks to be about the same age as the 850.
Do any of you work on, or know someone that works on, older outboards? Ideally, I would like to get the 850 running. Maybe someone would be willing to work with me to get it running and take the 800 as some sort of a trade? Or take both in exchange for a decent running motor.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Oh... he gave me a manual for the 850, but I might also need some pointer on caring for, maintaining, storing.... never owned a motor powered boat before and have limited experience with them.

On that note, what is required in ohio to operate a motor boat?

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Oh... he gave me a manual for the 850, but I might also need some pointer on caring for, maintaining, storing.... never owned a motor powered boat before and have limited experience with them.

On that note, what is required in ohio to operate a motor boat?

Be sober.

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
If you go to Ohio division of watercraft you can look at boating rules and safety tips. You should have a title for the motor and the boat because of the size of both and will need to get registration and a sticker.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
If you go to Ohio division of watercraft you can look at boating rules and safety tips. You should have a title for the motor and the boat because of the size of both and will need to get registration and a sticker.

No problem. My wife works for the DMV, I'm sure she can tell me what I need as far as that goes.
What about an operators license or insurance?

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
Bmv won't help with boats. You have to go through of division of watercraft office for registration and sticker. I'd get the motor running first.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm with Joel. Not a boat guy. Don't know about them. I do know I wouldn't spend money getting it registered until I knew if I would be able to use it or not.