Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

waterfowl ?

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
I've been watching some ducks on the pond at work but don't know what they are. There a small black duck with white on their faces think the white is around there eyes but not sure and white under there wings I've noticed them diving under the water but can't get a good look at them I've seen some bigger black diving ducks maybe the small ones are just young. Does anyone know what they are and if there legal to shoot?

tjeep

Ruddy's are kinda reddish brown, but do have black and white head. I have never seen one in Ohio. Shot them in North Dakota, beautiful birds. Hard to miss that bright blue bill

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Ruddy's are kinda reddish brown, but do have black and white head. I have never seen one in Ohio. Shot them in North Dakota, beautiful birds. Hard to miss that bright blue bill
We actually get a ton of them up here near the lake. They are really cool looking birds. Just too bad we don't usually see the reddish coloration and blue bill until the spring migration.

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
I think there barrow buffleheads from what I seen of them lots of them I've seen are not much bigger than your hands put together but I think there young ones maybe because there were some bigger ones there to.