Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Goose anyone

jonpgilbert2

I've been watching this forum for over a week just wondering how's everybody doing goose hunting so far. I'm giving deer hunting a break for a week or two gonna try some of my fields out this weekend up hear in northeast Ohio. Would love to hear how other guys are doing. This is my first year back into waterfowl since 2010 got my boy some of this first shoots at geese in the early season but no luck. Hope I can make it happen before seasons over. I found a farmer with the corn still up I plan on seeing if I can get permission and when the farmer plans on cutting the corn. Figured that would be my best chance. Did some drive around scouting last night but never did see any flocks usually I do I don't know but anyways would love to hear how everyone is doing and any advice is always a plus I love to learn.

epe

Lancaster
Can't hunt until next Saturday, so I guess you could say it's slow...
Not for geese silly rabbit. Been in since the first. uploadfromtaptalk1449706164208.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1449706164208.jpg

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
We don't have any spots to hunt geese, so I don't pay much attention. If it's a good goose spot, it's leased or you can't hunt it. We kill some in our duck spot, but there's no sense in shooting it up for some sky carp.

Wmiller07

I'm in northeast Ohio too and I haven't gotten out at all this year. I'm hoping to get out when I take time off around Christmas.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
There are a decent amount around . But with the weather we've been having they'd be tough to kill . Need some weather to make em more killable .

tjeep

IMG_0812.jpg Been slow, I'm not sure if my pooch can even swim anymore or if my gun will shoot? Mid 60's no Wind better have everything right when they do fly, tough conditions.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Some around but like carpn said they are tough to kill right now. I haven't seen much grain-feeding occurring at all lately.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Nothing around me right now.

I actually had a dream last night about scouting. I was driving around taking to John complaining about empty skies and no birds. That dream is the reality right now.

oakswamper

around Toledo
We don't have any spots to hunt geese, so I don't pay much attention. If it's a good goose spot, it's leased or you can't hunt it. We kill some in our duck spot, but there's no sense in shooting it up for some sky carp.

My youngest nephew killed a few geese so I told him I would try to make jerky out of the breast. I was surprised at how good it came out

AMiller

Throughout this duck season in the north zone. I have seen more geese around then ducks. I just can't get motivated enough to go after them. I would rather chase ducks. But the duck hunting has been pathetic this year to say the least.

I blame El Niño.

Last edited:

jonpgilbert2

Drove around for 4 1/2 hours this morning around pymatuming lake kinsman swamp all the back roads checked my fields I have permission on. Talked to a few farmers 2 flocks I seen landed in someone's pond. At least 150 geese. No one was home to get permission. Saw a couple more smaller flocks in ponds. I didn't see any in fields at all. Waiting on neighbor to get me permission on a little lake where I seen some geese today not far from home.

Hunted yesterday in a field(portage county) that traditionally you'll see no less than 200 birds in one morning. Saw 2 flocks that worked our spread and bugged out after 2 or 3 passes. Educated, stale birds and most of them are sitting tight to water until it gets colder. And another field that ALWAYS holds birds until a big freeze has been empty for weeks. Very weird season this year. Hoping to get some weather...

tjeep

Hunted all weekend, absolutely nothing flew Saturday. Sunday seen 3 large flocks had them spin the spread a couple times then gone. Shot one Woodie! Had the Federal GW, try to slip up on us in Canoe, but Coop smelled him out and gave his position up. Always trust your dogs nose..........Lol He spent the next 45 minutes checking us, even had metal detector to verify we were not using lead reloads.