Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Visiting family- Northeastern Ohio in Summer

Sgtsilbaugh

Hey everybody, I'm an Ohio native but been living in California for years. I'm planning on going back to visit all my family around summer time. My brothers have recently got into fishing and I really want to do some fishing when I go back. I was thinking of hitting up some local smaller lakes and was hoping for a shot at walleye, and potentially musky. Any ideas of which lakes and which methods might give me the best shot?

Here's what I was thinking, or planning. Rent a boat and fish either La Due or Lake Milton and fish the morning/afternoon for walleye. Hit the deeper parts of the lake, look for structure holding fish and bobber fish with leaches, while bouncing a rippin rap or clackin rap off the bottom. Then later in the evening hit the banks with structure (branches, weeds, etc) and throw some top waters for musky. Let me know what you guys think.

Cheers!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Miltons a good choice for muskies, you can also try west branch as well since they also have a good population there.... Have caught muskies while bass fishing at both those lakes....

Sgtsilbaugh

Miltons a good choice for muskies, you can also try west branch as well since they also have a good population there.... Have caught muskies while bass fishing at both those lakes....
Thanks J. Any good walleye fishing there too?

What's the most common baits you throw for Musky?

Thanks for the feedback!

Cheers

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Milton, mosquito are e best walleye lakes around here (other than Lake Erie) and big crank baits and spinner baits are what we caught them on, but we were targeting bass though.... Caught my biggest too date Muskie on mosquito lake.... 30" and not a happy camper lol

Sgtsilbaugh

Hey guys, I'm about ready to go so I got some rods and a reel for traveling. What lures are the walleye, bass and musky hitting? Anyone try the new savage suicide duck for musky yet? Let me know. We're contemplating fishing La Due a few times too

Sgtsilbaugh

I'll have to check those out. Do you put them on a jig head? I picked up a lucky craft pointer, some goby swim baits and an Alabama rig. Just picked up my two citrix travel rods ( 1- 7'2" rated 10-17lb ) and (1- 7'11" 15-30lb ). Now I'm debating if I want to bring my spinner or just pick one up over there that's inexpensive.

Sgtsilbaugh

I printed out the maps four La Due , Pumatuning, Mosquito and one other lake. Thinking of hitting La Due first

Sgtsilbaugh

I got a gold pointer. It's action is much wider than the surf minnow and seems wider than the surf pointer too. I got my first halibut from the surf on the surf pointer! You ever try the chatterbait? I'm thinking it might work good for bass and walleye. Tried one out in the pool earlier and the action is nice! Think I might throw on a long grub tail in chartreuse.

I think La Due will be the first place of business. Pick up some leeches, soak a live bait on a bobber and mess around with the crankbaits/ swimbaits.