Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The boy finally connected

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Some of you have met my son, jesse, at the strouds gathering. Until he moved in with my wife and I a couple years ago, his interest in hunting was minimal. Since then he has gotten more involved, and made a real effort this year.

He had really hoped his first deer would be taken with his bow, but it just never came together for him. A friend of mine from work invited us to hunt this past weekend with his family in an area that seems to hold a fair amount of deer. Between a tough work schedule and school his only day was going to be sunday so we decided to make the most of it.

We left the house shortly after sunrise and picked up adam (redcloud) along the way. My only mission for the day, by hook or by crook, was to put deer in front of them.
The morning got off to a promising start. We had just arrived and my buddy hopped in the car and told us to drive around the corner. Some other guys were setting up a drive and we were going to be pushing for them. As we pulled up, the guys that were going in to stand, jumped at least 12 to 15 deer. We had just pulled up to see them all run down the field and into the woods. We scrambled to get orange on, guns out of cases, shells in guns.... we had just freaking got there lol. Now we were the sanders and the other group was going to try to push them back out to us. Only 2 came back out, but they ran past jesse and paused long enough for him to take a shot... clean miss.
He kicked himself for the rest of the day. "First time I ever shot at a deer and I miss" ...

After a somewhat strange rest of the morning and early afternoon that didn't result in anymore shot opportunities (story for another day), we were down to our last chance.

We set up jesse on a point in a drainage with adam. 2 other sanders were up the hill to their right. 2 more next to a brush line on the other side of the hill to their left. The Woodlot was on the other side of a rise in the field about 250 yards in front of them. I joined the other 4 guys that were pushing. From my position, jesse and adam would be directly in front of my down the hill.

As soon as we started in, 5 deer popped out from the corner and ran over the hill. I heard six shots, but they came from the 2 people that were to jesse and adams right. As we were approaching the back edge of the woods, I saw a couple more run out and it looked like they were headed to jesse and adam. A minute later, I heard a single shot from their direction.

I get a phone call... dad... I GOT ONE!!...

Adam told me later that he was standing behind jesse coaching him on where to aim and when to shoot. Thanks buddy. Turned out to be a button buck, dropped in its tracks. I don't know who was more proud, me or jesse.

He's seen me dress a couple and wanted to do this himself, he needed me to help with some suggestions about what to cut and where, but all in all, he did a good job for his first.

We got our deer home last night, I shot a doe Friday and it has been hanging in my buddies garage, and got them hung up. Having a second deer to work on was awesome, as I skinned my doe he was able to watch what I was doing g and skinned his. Today after work, as I quartered mine he was able to follow along with his. He now understands the satisfaction and work involved with taking a deer from the field to the freezer.

He can't wait to get back in stand and chase a buck now.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Great news Dave!!! Congratulations to Jesse and you!

A big thumbs up for Adam for helping Jesse TOO! :smiley_clap:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Damn good news right there Dave!!!! Congrats too Jesse and give him a big pat on the back for me!!!! Glad too see you both connected.....

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Sounds like a great day had by all. Congrats to Jesse on his first deer!!!!!

This right here is what's its all about. Friends and family afield.