Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Anyone planning on bow hunting now- till late gun?

Bigcountry40

Typically right after gun season I take a 2 or 3 week deer hunting break and just relax with the family, small game hunt, maybe drink 1 or 2 beers and watch football. Does anyone on here continue to bow hunt till late gun or black powder season? Anyone have any kind of success directly after gun season or have some sort of tactic they use that may make their bow hunting directly after gun season successful (like sanctuary land or untouched honey hole they leave alone on purpose)? Thoughts opinions.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Although I don't plan on hunting my honey hole anymore this year since I already killed a buck and a doe there this year, I always stay out of it during gun season. The areas around it get hit pretty hard during gun, so I dump a good amount of corn and stay out. If I was still buck hunting, I'd probably give it a few days after gun before I hunted it, let things settle down a little more.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I feel like I NEED to take a breath. I've been hitting it pretty hard since Sept 27 or whatever opening day was. I plan to pile corn and run cameras over the next couple of weeks, do some recon type stuff, but I have no intention of climbing a tree unless I get a surprise on a corn pile soon.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
Since I missed out on the rut I hope to get out a couple evenings per week. I will be dumping corn and running cams for inventory purposes. If I find something I may go at it harder.

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
Last year I ran out of tags before gun season. I spent the rest of the year looking out the window wishing I could hunt. I don't have that problem this year and looking forward to the rest of the season. Like to shoot another anterless at some point and try to get my daughter her first deer. Corn piles are awesome in the late season.

I haven't picked a day or time to go out yet but I'm checking the forecast and wind directions daily. Burning up my buck tag took the pressure and sense of urgency out but heck yes I'll still be hunting!! :pickle:

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I'm going to give the area couple days rest then check my cams. Haven't got my buck yet so weather and health permitting I will hunt my ladder stands until late season bonus days. There's very little hunting pressure in my immediate area and heard no close nearby shots.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I will be drinking scotch and recurve hunting... Not in the order btw

Isaacorps

Columbus
I'm fortunate enough to have my buck and a doe so I'll be filling feeders and checking cams from here on out to try and get a couple more does to donate to the food bank since we're a 4 deer county. I actually still can fill 3 more doe tags here since my one doe was in a 2 deer county. Lofty goal but I still enjoy the chase and love that the meat can go to help the less fortunate

JOHNROHIO

Participation Trophy Winner
I will also be hunting until I fill my buck tag or time runs out. I am in no hurry at this point in time, but I will continue to try and scout and run cameras to find them.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I'm fortunate enough to have my buck and a doe so I'll be filling feeders and checking cams from here on out to try and get a couple more does to donate to the food bank since we're a 4 deer county. I actually still can fill 3 more doe tags here since my one doe was in a 2 deer county. Lofty goal but I still enjoy the chase and love that the meat can go to help the less fortunate

Do what you want: But IF your area can stand killing does just because....might be good to offer it to a TOO member first? Some of the donated deer get stolen from anyhow.

Last edited:

Isaacorps

Columbus
Do what you want: But IF your area can stand killing does just because....might be good to offer it to a TOO member first? Some of the donated deer get stolen from anyhow.

Good idea, didn't think of that. The area I hunt is an urban management area that is overrun with them so definitely plenty around to thin out

jeremy44230

Medina County
I'll bow hunt some places that do not have gun hunting allowed. I plan on pole axing the doe that saw me last night.... She turned the corner and looked right at me. I'm gonna throw another stand on the backside of the tree and she won't see me next time! Dirty little wench.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I'll bow hunt some places that do not have gun hunting allowed. I plan on pole axing the doe that saw me last night.... She turned the corner and looked right at me. I'm gonna throw another stand on the backside of the tree and she won't see me next time! Dirty little wench.
The fist doe I shot with the bow this year during the youth gun weekend was the one that busted me twice and had too move the ladder stand twice because of her looking up and blowing at me.... That was my mission for this season was too quiet her for good.... Well I met that goal now just got too try and find the bucks that vanished from the property.... I'll be taking a week off (heading to Alabama Wednesday morning) and then hitting it again next week.... Corn is cut so they'll be feeding on that cut corn for a while.... There's lots of spillage all over those fields....

Jal5

I will let them calm down for two weeks other than filling the feeder. The second gun weekend has been lucky for me in the past. The only deer I saw on Sat. We're out my back window in my yard [emoji2]

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Since I don't bowhunt much anymore during the early season, I actually hit it pretty hard after gun season... Even after muzzy season. I have a few spots that are pressured hard early but really tame down later in the year. My approach is to simply scout, scout, and scout some more. I try not to move in on em until I'm almost 100% sure of their pattern. It doesn't always work out as I'm usually buck hunting, but I usually have a lot of encounters.