Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Savage 220 or Remington Accutip issue?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Squeezed the trigger on a doe last night. Click. Pulled bolt back and ensured this shell was fully chambered. Squeezed trigger: click. Chambered a second round: bang!

First off, I can't believe there were 6-8 deer within 50-100yds and I got away with this movement and noise. That is another miracle and on another thread.

Upon inspection of the shells, both primers had been struck. One simply didn't fire. I got some input from J. I remembered him having some sort of issue with his 220 but couldn't remember what. His was a Savage issue. I am wondering if this isn't a Remington Accutip issue though? Possibly just a bad round?

Performance of the round that did fire was impressive. Non-performance of first round was sucky.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I am having the same issue with my accutips. Primer strikes and she'll not going off.

I'll get more feedback before I do anything else. I have enough Accutips for several seasons (I don't gun hunt much and have 3 boxes. 3 Shots to verify scope, 2 for the stand.) I am more of a Hornady fan anyway. Just never shot them out of this shotgun. I am interested in multiple opinions before I change anything though. As I stated, the performance on the deer was phenomenal. I have never seen a heart in this condition. Golf ball sized hole through the heart.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
New or old ammo? I believe these were rounds which came with the gun. Uncertain the age. If they had issues several years ago. . . I would hope they weren't still having issues with ammo on shelves right now.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I am 25 for 25 on accutips. Have the big boy 212 tho

That is because you aren't some thin framed sally like me. lol

Preface: I bought this off Geezer and I am not throwing Geezer under the bus. IF this gun had issues, he would have told me. Truthfully, he probably wouldn't have sold it or would have sent it to Savage if there was an issue. That said, he made no mentions of these issues. I fired 3 shots to verify scope was on for myself. Garrett fired 4 shots to verify scope was on for him. It performed flawlessly on these 7 shots. So. . . This gun has fired however many rounds Geezer fired, 7 for me and Garrett, and the only dud was the one I tried to kill a deer with. This is what got me wondering if I didn't just get a bad round?

Milo

Tatonka guide.
If you look at the bottoms of the shell you will find the bottoms concave.. Not sure why unless they are using rediculous amounts of pressure to load. I think that is an issue. All other slug rounds I have inspected are perfectly flat.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I would try a different brand of slugs to see if it's a gun issue. Or just shot some bird shot rounds through it it test function. I use Winchester or Remington regular slugs for 48 yrs and never a dud. Not to knock anyone but I just don't see as reason for all these new fangled dangled new slugs on the market. I guess if you want to or need to reach out further just maybe but i don't need to.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I would try a different brand of slugs to see if it's a gun issue. Or just shot some bird shot rounds through it it test function. I use Winchester or Remington regular slugs for 48 yrs and never a dud. Not to knock anyone but I just don't see as reason for all these new fangled dangled new slugs on the market. I guess if you want to or need to reach out further just maybe but i don't need to.

Because at 150 yards I can keep them in a small coffee can lid that's why. Sluggers ain't gonna do that

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
With the gun empty, pull the trigger a few times.... Get familiar with the sound... Now when pulling the trigger put a little side pressure on the stainless steel accu trigger part.... Listen for the sound at that point and hear the difference.....

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I don't understand how it could be a gun issue. Look at those primers. Even the one that didn't detonate appears to have been dimpled more than enough for ignition.

Edit... Nvm... After looking closer there is a fairly significant difference between the two.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I don't understand how it could be a gun issue. Look at those primers. Even the one that didn't detonate appears to have been dimpled more than enough for ignition.

Edit... Nvm... After looking closer there is a fairly significant difference between the two.

The only time my gun didn't fire was when I was shooting at deer.... Primers were almost identical dimple that Phil posted.... At the range, it worked flawlessly....

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Do you know what the fix is from savage? I may go fire a couple rounds then put new primers in and try what you described.
The only time my gun didn't fire was when I was shooting at deer.... Primers were almost identical dimple that Phil posted.... At the range, it worked flawlessly....

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Do you know what the fix is from savage? I may go fire a couple rounds then put new primers in and try what you described.

Milo, I'd like too say I do but when I received it back there wasn't anything sayin what was replaced other than repaired and it was free for the repair.... The 40.00 shipping stung a little but the return was paid by them.....

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Never had an issue with 12ga accutips out of my 870. What I'm hearing sucks.