Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

My buck with the Widow.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Finally i have found some free time to do a writeup on my buck kill.
I was fortunate to take a big old doe with my recurve back in October and then on to trying to get a buck. uploadfromtaptalk1449374783000.jpg
I had spent lots of vacation time in the stand passing on several deer and had to head back to work on Nov 16th but had scheduled friday the 20th off, i planned on an all day sit making this my 16th all day sit this season.
The morning started crisp and cool and just felt like deer weather, i was perched in a stand i call the triple tree because of the 3 trunks i am concealed in and the deer never see me in it, it is in a nice woods funnel that narrows down into a point out in a crop field.uploadfromtaptalk1449374101373.jpg Right after first light i had several does come through and shortly after a few small bucks cruising through.uploadfromtaptalk1449375008511.jpg
About an hour later a buck was chasing a doe around the field then they disappeared to the south of me, around 10:30 i had a wide 8 point pushing a doe all around me and then he chased her into some thick stuff, the rut was really going strong on this day.uploadfromtaptalk1449375046717.jpg

Sometime later JohnR text me and said Sean had shot a nice buck so that kept my spirits up to stick it out all day.
I saw a few more deer before noon and then ate my lunch i packed and just relaxed in the stand,uploadfromtaptalk1449374880618.jpg i started seeing more deer around 2pm, i was now at 8 buck sightings and several does, what a great day in the woods.
At 4pm i had a button buck hanging out behind me and i was watching him when i saw the right side of a white rack coming through some thick stuff, i remember texting with Taylor earlier in my vacation time after sending him a pic of a nice buck i passed on and him telling me to get my head outta my rear.lol
Well when i saw this one coming i thought you will do, he was cruising at a good pace and i had to turn to the west in my stand to get a shot.

I had one good opening at 20 yards and when he was almost there i started to draw my recurve and when he entered the shooting lane i did a doe bleat with my mouth, i released and just then he turned slightly towards me and i watched as my arrow hit him right in the shoulder.
The buck bolted away and i saw part of my arrow break off and hit the ground,uploadfromtaptalk1449375941585.jpg as i watched he ran about 65 yds, stopped,looked around, and fell over,he was in some thick stuff and i saw him get up and limp a few yards and then disappear.
I was pretty sure he was down but still waited 20 minutes before climbing down to walk to where the broken arrow was and picked it up, i had a few drops of blood for about ten yards then lots of blood.

As i was following the blood trail i looked to my left and found a nice shed half buried in leaves,uploadfromtaptalk1449376413959.jpg i continued on another 30 yds and could see a white rack sticking up! Man what a great feeling to take my second buck in two years using my recurve.uploadfromtaptalk1449376611355.jpg
He was a nice 10 point that had been doing some fighting as he had busted his left side up but still a great buck.I text several of my buddies to let them know and Taylor started the IKS thread.
My buddy Dave was hunting the north side of the farm and came to help me get him out.
What a great season i have had and really do enjoy hunting with my Black Widow recurve.
Also the shed i found i had found the matching right side back in March while shed hunting out in the field about 120 yards from where my buck fell which is pretty cool as it is a nice set.

After finding my buck i was really impressed with the way the 150 grain Woodsman broadhead busted right through the bucks shoulder and into the opposite one and only shooting 47 pounds.
Good luck to everyone still out there hunting.
Now on to catching some Coyotes right after xmas.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That widow is so awesome! You're an inspiration man... Makes me wanna give up the compound and buy a recurve!

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
Awsome write up man. You truly do things right! 16 all day sits..if that's not the definition of determination I don't know what is. Congrats again Brian.

Mao

Coshocton, OH
So cool man. I have a great respect for the traditionalists. I've often wondered if I would enjoy deer hunting more if I took that approach.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
So cool man. I have a great respect for the traditionalists. I've often wondered if I would enjoy deer hunting more if I took that approach.
Heck yea you would Mao, i was at the point where i enjoyed the hunts but was getting bored with the compound,just wasn't fun shooting them much anymore.
With the recurve it just seemed to bring the fun back into it and the enjoyment of shooting every day,heck my season is over and i'm still shooting everyday, it's just fun.
Made it more challenging being out there trying to get the deer closer and knowing you are limited on how far you can shoot.
Just do like i did and get rid of your compound and jump right in or you will always question yourself on whether you should take the recurve or compound that way you will have only one choice.
I will say when you take your first deer with one it is a big rush,i can still remember how excited i was when i shot that doe last season being my first trad kill.
Good luck if you decide to give it a try and remember you dont need heavy poundage to put em down,just a heavy arrow and heavy broadhead combo and you will plow right through em.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Great read and pics Brian! Congrats again on a great season. I love the looks of that bow man!

That triple truck set up is awesome. I love climbing into spots like that, they make you feel invisible to the deer.

That widow is so awesome! You're an inspiration man... Makes me wanna give up the compound and buy a recurve!

It's in my plans for 2016 Jim. Between Brian & Milo I've got some bad influences pushing me along. It's really is fun letting arrows fly out of one.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Great read and pics Brian! Congrats again on a great season. I love the looks of that bow man!

That triple truck set up is awesome. I love climbing into spots like that, they make you feel invisible to the deer.

It's in my plans for 2016 Jim. Between Brian & Milo I've got some bad influences pushing me along. It's really is fun letting arrows fly out of one.
Let's go!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
:smiley_clap: What a great season you had buddy!!! I really enjoyed reading your write up and looking at the pics as it was laid out nicely!

What can I say? You're one of the most passionate proficient hunters I've had the pleasure of knowing and I know a bunch of em. Your approach when deciding to take up the recurve was proof positive that you get out of it by what you put in to it! The practicing really paid off and your track record over the last two short years proves it!

Congratulations again on taking a beautiful deer with the "Widow Maker"!

I want to thank you again Brian for making two separate trips down this fall to help me put up my stands for Karissa and I! Your generosity helped us get Karissa a shot at her very first deer on the exact same day as you and Sean! Yes, Friday November 20th was a very special day for several of us. Ours was more stressful and played out a lot less desirable than we would have liked but that's how it goes sometime.

Thank you my friend for helping make our season special as well!:smiley_coolpeace:

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Thx Ric, it was fun helping you guys out! dang that was a great day on Nov 20th, I am just glad Karissa and you got closure on her buck and were able to recover it.
It is pretty cool that when you guys are out and you are writing about it later that i know right where all the action took place.
Yep i think we have decided to name my bow "The Widow Maker".
Thx again buddy!