Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

I was there!

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
My son has a couple of Morgan County properties to hunt and was able to drag me along with him today. There are a few dandies roaming this farm and a cull buck they have been hoping to take out. Late in the day Tyler was still hunting when the cull buck jumped up at 20 yards and tried to go behind him. He dropped him right there. It is an old, gnarly 7 point that has battle scars all over it's head and neck and one blind eye. This buck had the same shape and size rack last year. Always good to be hunting with your kids when they connect.
IMG_0584.jpg
IMG_0589.jpg
IMG_0580.jpg

Last edited:

jlane

dunn nc
congrats job well done.i have a ?. how do u age a deer unless he has markings that is visible year to year,i have several that i think may be 3.5/4.5 big bodies, the only way i can tell if their mature and older is look at the shoulder and hips. if sholder is lower than hips i think he,s 3.5 and under, lf front end is equil or taller than hips then he may be 4.5 and up.most have thin to decent mass on racks,do you all see racks remaining the same year after year just getting heaver,i know antlers has everything to do with food and minerals.will a 3,5 eight always be an eight?

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
,do you all see racks remaining the same year after year just getting heaver,i know antlers has everything to do with food and minerals.will a 3,5 eight always be an eight?

Racks can change a lot from year to year or stay similar, add points or take away points. They can be a split brow on right side this year and be split brow on opposite side next year. They can grow bigger or go smaller from year to year. Some of the factors can be abundant food or lack there of, fatigue from rut/harsh winter, injury and genetics.