Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

US Military 1911 pistols to be sold to the public

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/buy-your-surplus-ww-ii-era-1911-from-the-government/

I can't really believe President Obama signed a bill to permit the CMP to sell 100,000 WW11 1911 Colt pistols through the CMP to the public. I quess he thought these pistols would never be on the street as they are highly collectable.
Police officers get to buy the 1st 8,000 leaving 90,000 or so for the CMP to sell 10,000 per year.

I believe the last time 1911 pistols were sold off was in the mid 1960's.

CMP purchase requirements.http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/eligibility-requirements/

Last edited:

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
What do you think they'll fetch?

The CMP sell all firearms way below what's the true value. IMHO the CMP will sell at 600-900 and street value 1500-3000 depending on model and correctness. Also I would think there will be a rush of orders causing a waiting time of 2-5 years at only 10,000 per year.

runhunter

The CMP sell all firearms way below what's the true value. IMHO the CMP will sell at 600-900 and street value 1500-3000 depending on model and correctness. Also I would think there will be a rush of orders causing a waiting time of 2-5 years at only 10,000 per year.

Thanks for the info!!! I contacted CMP, to see what restrictions or special hoops I have to jump through being a NJ resident. Not sure if I already missed the boat, but hopefully being a LEO, I will be able to at least get some info. Hard not to love a 1911, especially one with history...

runhunter

haha... I wouldn't be shocked at anything that happens. I contacted CMP, if I find out any more info, other than what has been posted, I will let you guys know

Wmiller07

haha... I wouldn't be shocked at anything that happens. I contacted CMP, if I find out any more info, other than what has been posted, I will let you guys know

Great thanks, I am really interested in this. Heck of an investment and really cool piece of history.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
First take a breath. My understanding is the law says that the pistols MAY be sold. There are probably several layers of bureaucrats, answerable to Obama, between the guns and us. Even if this does happen it's going to take the CMP awhile to get the guns, inspect them, and process them. I expect at mininimum 6 months before orders are accepted. Hopefully I'm wrong.