Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2015 deer hunting

ethanl

Well after 4 days of hunting public land I have yet to get a deer.
I only seen 2 doe. They got startled and wasn't setup to take shot.

Any help would be appreciated?
I know there's people getting them all over. Not a good way to get started off being new!

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
Just keep on trying. I think it's something like one in five hunters get a deer during gun season. Could be off a little but you get the idea. Seeing 2 is better than some will do this week I'm sure.

Good luck! The more you hunt the better your chances are.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Find pinch points where you feel or see sign that they use too cross fields roads or creeks/hollers and set up on them, the more sign the better the spot.... This time of year it'll happen in a second so set up stay focused and be ready in a moments notice....

mossbergbryson

I would try to find areas off the beaten path. If you're hunting areas with a good amount of human traffic, especially on public land, it is going to be a lot harder to harvest one anytime let alone during gun season. Just stay after it. I shot one Monday, and hunted some areas where I'd seen deer during bow season and got skunked. It isn't easy on private property either.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I didn't get a deer until my 3rd season. Keep trying and don't get discouraged.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Patience, Daniel-son. That's why it's called hunting and not shooting. All the advice above is great and spot-on, but you also have to realize that striking out is OK and should be expected. Stay with it and your day will come.

Bigcountry40

Keep work'n hard, it'll pay off, Saturday morning maybe the second best day to hunt, a lot of people driving woods, just got to find a pinch point like others have said and set up deeper where the deer will be pushed to you.

Isaacorps

Columbus
This is all great advice especially for public land. I hunt public exclusively and it isn't easy. One thing I would say is be willing to get in early and go as far in as you can. I was set up early Monday morning and as soon as daylight broke I had 3 does come in on me that seemed like they had been bumped by someone. I took the third one in the group as she was the only one that slowed enough for a shot. That's when the work began. I had to drag her about a half mile back to the truck through some thick nasty stuff that was all straight up and down. Probably the hardest I've ever had to work to get a deer out if the woods but definitely worth it. I never would've even seen those deer had I been set up in a nice comfy spot closer to the truck. Gotta be willing to put in max effort but it's awesome when it pays off!

HeartLunger

This is all great advice especially for public land. I hunt public exclusively and it isn't easy. One thing I would say is be willing to get in early and go as far in as you can. I was set up early Monday morning and as soon as daylight broke I had 3 does come in on me that seemed like they had been bumped by someone. I took the third one in the group as she was the only one that slowed enough for a shot. That's when the work began. I had to drag her about a half mile back to the truck through some thick nasty stuff that was all straight up and down. Probably the hardest I've ever had to work to get a deer out if the woods but definitely worth it. I never would've even seen those deer had I been set up in a nice comfy spot closer to the truck. Gotta be willing to put in max effort but it's awesome when it pays off!

I've never hunted public, but plan on doing it either this or next year. But can't you call your deer in and then quarter it and carry it out? I have an ALICE pack that I plan on using for this purpose.

Isaacorps

Columbus
I've never hunted public, but plan on doing it either this or next year. But can't you call your deer in and then quarter it and carry it out? I have an ALICE pack that I plan on using for this purpose.

I don't see why you couldn't as long as you have the permanent tag number

Bigcountry40

I do this every year, I have had great success (I did not kill one this year, let a small doe walk at 80 yards), thank god I am young and can drag lol.

teej89

NE PA
I hunt woodbury (coshocton county), but have had success on public land in Harrison county, sandusky county as well during late gun.

I was talking to ethan lol but I'm strictly hunting public this year, well until recently but it's just a doe property. I hear ya, I've had some WHICKED drags outta public, it isn't fun but worth it. Back in PA when I'd get a buck on our private ground I'd go hike deep into public trying to find a do. Talk about satisfaction when you do tho.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
keep at it. I hunted 300 hours one year and didn't harvest a deer. Now I was only hunting for mature bucks but still. Its called hunting for a reason, this is Lee and Tiffany TV.