Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

AR - Gas versus Piston

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
In the market for an AR (been saying it for years but now in a position to get it bought). I see there is a lot of debate on Gas versus Piston driven AR's. The model I'm looking at, I can get either type for the same price.

For those of you who are experienced in AR's, what are your preferences and why? This isn't going to be a hunting rifle, more or less a SHTF piece setup for tactical/close range shooting.

Thanks in advance!

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Been shooting 2 regular AR's for 20 yrs and never a problem. IMHO the gas piston system was a fix for a problem that wasn't there. Just a marketing scheme to sell a new improved item.
We have close to 20 regular AR's in the group of guys I PD shoot with and no one has ever had a problem or no one seen the reason to switch.
IMHO if someone has a AR that doesn't function correctly the AR was not properly put together. Sorry if I stepped on toes here that's been our experience.
And I would say that's with way over 100,000-200,000 reloads fired.

The couple full AR guys I know all shoot gas AR's without a problem.

Last edited:

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
There might be advantages in full-auto with the piston over gas but I don't think the average guy shooting would ever notice.