Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Whitetail Hunting

Hoytman62

Ok my Ohio Whitetail Bow Hunters. Is a the rut winding down or what. I never saw a real active rut here in Central Ohio. What's the take with you all. More rut to come or what? Thanks! Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Video taped a 130" 8 chasing a doe 50 yards off the side of the 77 on ramp when I got off work last night. I think it's pre rut now.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
The doe I shot on Monday had a young buck following her. She was obviously "smelling good" because the buck stayed with her for over an hour after she laid there dead. And last Friday I watched a 140s chasing a doe across a shallow river...dogging her pretty hard. It may be winding down, but there is still rut activity taking place.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
IMO Rut was more of a trickle or hit and miss this year. I believe all that heat messed it up good.
Some of our comments are all in fun. No harm intended. Stick around and you will understand more about Rut questions. Good Luck To You!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
One of the guys in our group shot a 120 class 8 point that was chasing two doe this morning.... We were driving one direction, the three of them came from behind us....

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
IMO Rut was more of a trickle or hit and miss this year. I believe all that heat messed it up good.
Some of our comments are all in fun. No harm intended. Stick around and you will understand more about Rut questions. Good Luck To You!

I agree with this Rick. I had a buck following a doe around this morning with a spike hanging close but getting ran off. The buck wanted it bad. He was thrashing trees in frustration as he followed her around. He was grunting very long, deep grunts. I videod it but haven't had time to download to see if you could hear it on the replay. I tagged my buck already. . . and I wouldn't have hesitated to slash his hopes by shooting that doe. Unfortunately, the buck and spike gave me 30-50yd chip shots but the doe stayed in thick cover. I wasn't going to try to shoot through it.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio

Good post and I agree Rick!

Welcome to TOO!