Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

state deer wide harvest numbers

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
WELL DAMN, I clicked thinking I'd get the harvest numbers rotflmao

Coworker said he heard on radio this am that Logan county had 249 killed on opening day, and 2200 for the whole state.
Seems awful low, and I don't trust his stats. Now I gotta go look

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Ole Ernie sent me a text yesterday and said it was 22,256 for opening day. Opening day of 2009 was 33,607.

But if you look at the totals. 97,371 total to include opening day of gun for 2009. Adding last Thursdays numbers to opening day of gun puts this years totals around 98k. Neck and neck. More bow less gun.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good question Frank. We usually have the numbers up for bow season, youth season, and everything up to the start of gun season by now. Opening day gun season numbers are usually big news too.

Thanks for sharing Joe.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
I wish they kept the % change column like years past. Wonder why they took that out? :smiley_chinrub: I hate having to do the math myself.

At a quick glance back to 2014 we're down roughly 1,300 deer.

Bigcountry40

I dont trust anything the ODNR says, I am not seeing the deer I used to in Coshocton or Tuscarwaras County-not to beat a dead horse that is bloated and rotting

antiqucycle

East Ohio
I have seen one dead doe the first morning on private property. No deer in trucks on trailers or atv's traveling on freeways or country roads. almost no shooting anywhere close to public areas. Not seeing any orange in the private land along highways.

I do not trust the dial a check numbers at all. By the way, who replaced Zody?

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I've heard shots every day but have seen very few hunters out. It would sure be nice to have check stations to stop by.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
All in all, I'd say participation is down and will continue to decline. One group I know that drives all week, has really struggled. 20 of them managed a single doe in the first half of Monday. Typically they'd have kill one each back when numbers were up. Guys are starting to get tired of working so hard for nothing. Lot of time spent at camp drinking beer than hunting. Plenty of guys getting fed up with the decline in deer numbers and going back to work after Monday.

Watch for the price increases to be fairly substantial on tags and licenses. No doubt the DNR is feeling this in their waller.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
No doubt the herds are down. I only have half the "locals" this year.
5 or 6 years ago, my average 150 mile drive to work would show 30-40 road kill deer. This year, I'm lucky to see 10-15 road kills. This is from Ashtabula, OH to Washington, PA.
I count em to help pass the drive time.

Last edited:

Ohioal

Sounds like the population where u guys are is way down. I count myself fortunate to not have seen much of a decline in deer numbers over the last decade. Some decline yes but we needed it around here in northwest Ohio. We should not be seeing 50 deer in the fields feeding at one time around 1 section of woods it needed reduced. Thankfully it is still common to see between 5 to up to 15 deer per sit with slight increase over the last couple of years

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Sounds like the population where u guys are is way down. I count myself fortunate to not have seen much of a decline in deer numbers over the last decade. Some decline yes but we needed it around here in northwest Ohio. We should not be seeing 50 deer in the fields feeding at one time around 1 section of woods it needed reduced. Thankfully it is still common to see between 5 to up to 15 deer per sit with slight increase over the last couple of years

Don't worry, it'll get there. Hunters are largely nomadic. As the population where they hunt declines they will seek out areas with a better population and condense there. If they are unable to gain permission the lessors will move in. Lots of people who said the same as you a couple years ago are now looking around saying "wtf happened".

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
iI can't remember but I'm sure ya'll can....whatwas the first yr that they allowed widespread use of the "bonus" doe tags during deer gun which resulted in skewed harvest numbers for that yr?

HeartLunger

Seems to me it was 2008, but could have been before. I just remember thinking "the economy is bad, people are really going to slay them this year."

CritterGitterToo

Central Ohio
iI can't remember but I'm sure ya'll can....whatwas the first yr that they allowed widespread use of the "bonus" doe tags during deer gun which resulted in skewed harvest numbers for that yr?

2007 based on what I was able to find.

"A total of 232,854 deer was harvested
this year, a 2% decrease from last season
(Table 1)."

This was the take for that year.

http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/Portals/wildlife/pdfs/publications/hunting/pub304_07.pdf

In 2003, the 3 deer bag limit was expanded to most of the state.

The 2004 harvest: "A total of 216,443 deer was harvested this
year, a 9.4% increase from last season (Table 1)."

Last edited:

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
Hardly anyone hunting around here. The couple groups of hunters I'm friends with all sit around and complain cause they don't have enough guys to do drives so they sit on their tailgates. Four deer have been hit at our sugar woods this week alone, 9 for the year...

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Deer numbers have been up at two properties and way down on my personal property.