Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Am I the only one.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Who drives around making a note of what properties people gun hunt but you never see a truck there any other time? And what properties you never see a truck at even during gun.

I think this gives you some very valuable information. For the property you never see anyone hunting but someone gun hunts this tells you that it receives very little pressure prior to gun season, and the landowner isn't morally against hunting.

For the properties you never see anyone bow hunt or gun hunt you may locate a parcel that hasn't been hunted in years. These properties may be a little more tough as the landowner may not allow hunting at all. Which is not a bad thing if you can get in on the neighboring property.

A good deer population and genetics is only piece of the puzzle. Hunter density however is a huge piece also.

Anyways. Always scheming.

I've noticed the hunter population or lack thereof, for years, no matter the season(s). There have been times when I'd ask permission to hunt a property and the landowner would say that there were 2 other guys hunting too. I'd always assure him that I'd meet up with them and work out the times, locations, etc., so as not to run into each other during the season. Oddly enough, I'd never see anyone or at best I'd see them once or twice. Real diehards...NOT! No matter, that's just more hunting time for me. :smiley_blink:

If they hunt it during the Deer Gun Season, only, so be it. I'd most likely never see them for the remainder of the year.
As far as the late season, forget it. I never see anyone out, once the daytime temps drop below 25.

Bowhunter57

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
There is no lack of hunters in eastern Athens/western Washington counties. I heard hundreds of shots Monday....hundreds. Amazingly, 3 of the 4 shooter bucks showed up on neighboring cams after dark.

LonewolfNopack

The woods
That's a good thought. One thing to consider though is that more and more every year people are hunting their own back forty, or five. Just because you don't see a vehicle doesn't mean there isn't someone hunting. Many landowners just walk out the back door. I know personally, I hide my vehicle. There is only one place I hunt where my vehicle stands out as a hunters.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
That's a good thought. One thing to consider though is that more and more every year people are hunting their own back forty, or five. Just because you don't see a vehicle doesn't mean there isn't someone hunting. Many landowners just walk out the back door. I know personally, I hide my vehicle. There is only one place I hunt where my vehicle stands out as a hunters.

I also park out of the way most of the time. Usually a field or two over or at the landowners house.

NEOhunter

Good post, I thought I was the only one that does this. I'll drive a little bit out of my way on my way to work to see where people are hunting and how many vehicles. I mostly do this because I hunt mostly public land so I like to see which spots get hit hard and which spots don't.